The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9yo Belgian/Quarter mare who has some bone spurs around her pastern joint(beginning high-ringbone) She also has a thinning of her navicular bursa, but the Vet says that that's not as big of a problem. My question is about how much is Arthrodesis surgery? And what is the cost/benefit ratio. She isn't an eventer or anything, I just want to pleasure ride her without her being in pain afterward. She's pretty spunky and tends to try and keepp the geldings she shares her pasture with in-line.:lol: But after she bucks at one of them she tends to limp for a while, same with if she trots around the round pen for a while during ground work.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Only the vet can give you the price.
As for benefits, if the horse has ONLY high ring bone and if it is causing intractable pain then yes I would consider it.
Fusing the bones together will cause the growth of a much bigger visible deformity( lump) BUT the pain will go away because all movement in that jount will be gone, too, the horse may move a little but stiffer on that leg side mechanically, but it will not be because of pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.