The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old gelding was attacked by his herd mates 2 nights ago. He wasn't the only one with injuries but he got it the worst. The weird part is he has been in the same herd for a few weeks and nothing had changed. How do you treat bite and kick wounds to minimize scaring?

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sheesh! Poor guy! Was it something he said?!

Although these look numerous, none of them really look that deep. I'd just leave them alone, or put some sort of anti-bacterial on them. They'll heal just fine without scarring. You probably won't be able to see them in a few months.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Those don't look like the skin even broke. If they are just missing the hair, there won't be any scarring.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nothing, on that pic, that looks too bad, on their own. Did anybody see the attack? Are they all geldings? Nobody recently added? I would be cautious about putting him back in with them. Is this a boarding situation?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are only a few spots that broke the skin. He isn't going out with the same herd. It was just weird how everything was fine for a few weeks then all of a sudden it wasn't. There was a mare in the field that can act very studdy so I'm assuming she cornered him. I feel bad for the old guy!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
^^^ that looks like a beating from getting trapped in a corner. Those are the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: KsKatt

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I moved my horse to a new barn a couple weeks ago and he got beat up pretty badly, too. Luckily only one of his 'scrapes' actually broke the skin (and he's been moved to a smaller pasture with just one other horse now)

I'm currently using Corona Ointment daily on all of his scrapes. I haven't been using it long enough to say whether it's a miracle product or not, but I'll be convinced if these new scrapes grow hair. My horse has a number of old cuts/scrapes that didn't regrow hair despite being very minor :-|

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
My mare got beat up pretty bad at the last boarding place. She was missing large chunks of fur in several places. The picture is from March of this year. I didn't put anything on the bald spots and the hair grew within a couple of months. Now you can't even tell where the marks were.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I'm currently using Corona Ointment daily on all of his scrapes. I haven't been using it long enough to say whether it's a miracle product or not, but I'll be convinced if these new scrapes grow hair. My horse has a number of old cuts/scrapes that didn't regrow hair despite being very minor :-|
Ok, so I noticed last night that the scrapes/bite marks he got on the first day (9/22) are already growing hair :happydance:

And I may just be imagining things, but I've been putting the ointment on one of his older hairless injuries (from April 2013) and it seems to be growing in as well. That one might be just the winter hair growing in around it making it less obvious... I'm kind of tempted to clip that small area (with a guide comb so it's shorter but not shaved) so I can really tell... That would probably make putting the ointment on easier, too... :think:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.