The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Kenzie as most of you know. The picture was actually taken about a month and a half ago, before I moved her, so she wasn't QUITE two yet. I'm going to attempt to get some better pictures once it stops raining here...she is a total mud ball right now. Its just one picture since I didn't originally intend it for critique, but lets see if you guys can pick anything out about her since she was actually showing a little bit of the hidden swan underneath her ugly duckling stage at that time xD if you can't work with the picture, I'll just update this thread with better ones (and some back/front views) in a few days.

I'm not going to add any of her ugly duckling photos in hopes that she's going to look something like this when its all said and done. lol.

Anyways, info you might need to know. ~24 months old, came from a very neglectful situation (hence her ear), just now at her proper weight. She's on the sort side at 14hh, but has put 3 inches on in the last 3 months so here's hoping she isn't going to end up being a pony-thoroughbred! Unregistered but from registered parents, racing bred.

I'm fairly sure I know her faults, but its always hard to pick them out on your own horse ;)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Wow Endiku she is looking great! Obviously she still looks immature for her age based on her circumstances, but her weight looks good and she IS growing up! I am seeing a really functional riding horse in her in the future.

She has a nice shoulder, has a nice short back and loin, and nice shape to her croup, though her hip is a bit short. She is light on bone and has long pasterns. She appears to be tied in below the knee. She also has quite tall hocks. Her neck is a good length, but ties in slightly low. I can't wait to see her in another year.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Tryst! Her weight really seemed to be an uphill battle for a long time but I think her body has finally recovered enough to use the extra calories to cover those ribs. They still peak out occasionally, especially right in the middle of a growth spurt, but so long as she's eating as much as she wants and acting like she feels good, I'm finally learning to just chill out and realize she's going to have ribby weeks.

She definitely still doesn't look like a two year old, but at least people aren't mistaking her for a weanling any more xD that darned neck has finally caught up to her body too and looks half way balanced. That's what has me happiest.

I can't remember, are high or low hocks more ideal? I'm assuming lower hocks but I'm honestly not sure. I call her my noodle horse specifically because of those legs...I'm way too used to working Quarter Horse tree trunk legs.

Hopefully I'll get those behind/front photos soon. She's due to be floated and have a tooth pulled (poor baby!) tomorrow but maybe once she's feeling a little better after that. Her back legs still turn out pretty significantly which IMO is her biggest fault, but I'm not experienced enough to decide if she's just base narrow, if its a hoof balance problem, or if she really is cow hocked. I'm leaning towards cow hocked.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
All I can say is OMG!! I can't believe that is Kenzie! She is looking amazing!! You should be very proud of yourself. You have done such a fabulous job with her.

All things considered she is a nicely put together filly.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I like the way her withers tie into her back and the way her neck ties to her withers. At this point she is a bit hammer headed but I think that is the age and the stance.

She has a nice, short back and a decent coupling. She may be a bit straight through the hocks but that is not written in stone. She could use a bit more bone but a lot of Thoroughbreds look like that and they do fine both eventing and racing.

At first glance her shoulder appears steep, but if you look closer she has a very nice shoulder that lays back well. She is standing with her head down and her front end under herself which detracts from her shoulder. She may be a bit pigeon breasted.. but again it could be her stance.

She has an umbilical hernia and she looks like her weight is still unevenly distributed. She still has a hay belly, but that will change with time. Her topline is still a little caved in.. but that too will change. She is still very immature appearing and needs time to grow up.

Would love to see photos of her in the spring.

I would not be surprised if she grows into herself more and is truly lovely to look at in another year. This is a horse I would like to see doing something.. perhaps dressage or lower level eventing.

And yes, you have done a good job with her considering where she was as a weanling.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much NBEventer!

Elana- thank you for the critique! She does have a rather large looking head compared to her body, and the dim picture probably doesn't help. Its so crazy though because even though it looks big, I bought her a yearling rope halter (not the one in the picture) and it was way too big on her! lol.

I think the picture was also taken when I found out that she had strongyle worms and she was looking a bit wormy, so I'm hoping that has gone down since then (the worms are all gone according to a FEC) but even if not, she eats so much grass hay its ridiculous and I'm not surprised if she has a hay belly, the little pig! lol. Does the caved in topline refer to the total lack of muscle that she has behind her withers and along her back? Like I said, she's a noodle horse. A very lovable noodle horse though!

I'm very disappointed to have to sell her, but I'm determined to find her a good home...hopefully one that can get that hernia fixed asap. Would it be too far fetched for me to advertise her for low level showing? So far I've just said she might make a nice all-around pleasure mount. I'm not sure that she'll be any good at jumping though...she's too much of a clutz as of right now! haha. Like owner, like horse I guess...

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Jumping requires training.
I am sorry you must sell her. I would like to hear how she turns out in training and work.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am as well. Unfortunately that's just how the dice played out though, I guess. The place I have her at right now is very temporary and I lost my job so I can't really afford her upkeep. I really would have liked to see her in a year or two as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.