The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gelding I bought back in February was what I believe to be Aural Plaque, pretty nasty to look at to be honest. Im going to have my vet out to confirm thats what he has going on. Anyone have any experience with it? From my research, appears to be conflicting ways on dealing with it, leaving it alone vs putting ointment on it.

Thanks in Advance! :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
You generally leave them alone unless causing problems. They can go away on their own, or they don't. My guy has them. He was ear shy when I got him but we worked through that. I should check to see if they are still there.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Yep, my mare has had both sarcoids (under her "armpit) and aural plaque in her ear.

The sarcoids were years ago when I first got her. I did treat fairly aggressively per my vet, with both chemotherapy-type injections and Aldara (human genital wart cream). One form of sarcoid (occult) went away completely, the other (nodular) shrunk significantly and is now just a little "pimple" that has never had an "angry" flare-up since treated.

The aural plaque showed up in her left ear late last fall. I can't be sure, but I think that's about the same time she came down with Lyme disease. Weakened immune system? The vet saw the plaque in the ear during spring shots, and had recommended doing nothing at that time. When I treated for Lyme this summer with a pretty aggressive antibiotic regimen, the aural plaque actually went away very quickly. I'm hesitant to say that's causation, and not just correlation, as I never read anything in my copious reading on Lyme treatment about aural plaques clearing up. But the timing did seem to overlap too much to be coincidence, so I'm just not sure.

My vet pretty strongly recommended reading the research on Aldara treatment from University of Minnesota. This is the resource he shared with me:
https://www.vetmed.umn.edu/centers-...ical-studies/veterinarian-instructions-aldara
There are more links to FAQs from that page.

Here's another article about the Aldara treatment: Could a Cream Eliminate Equine Aural Plaques? | TheHorse.com (This is the actual study in that article)

Good luck!

*disclaimer- I have no connection to University of Minnesota or the manufacturers of Aldara :wink: Just a successful experience using it.

@wbwks - check out the links above or this one for pictures. Basically a scaly growth in the ears.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never heard of aural plaque, post a pic?
Will have to get back to you with pics, theyre pretty nasty looking IMO though! Especially my horse's, its pretty gross lol.

You generally leave them alone unless causing problems. They can go away on their own, or they don't. My guy has them. He was ear shy when I got him but we worked through that. I should check to see if they are still there.
Thats what Im reading the more and more research I do, his ear doesnt seem to bother him, which is great, its just so large you can see it pretty easily....oh well though, if it doesnt bother him, it wont bother me, well kinda lol

Yep, my mare has had both sarcoids (under her "armpit) and aural plaque in her ear.

The sarcoids were years ago when I first got her. I did treat fairly aggressively per my vet, with both chemotherapy-type injections and Aldara (human genital wart cream). One form of sarcoid (occult) went away completely, the other (nodular) shrunk significantly and is now just a little "pimple" that has never had an "angry" flare-up since treated.

The aural plaque showed up in her left ear late last fall. I can't be sure, but I think that's about the same time she came down with Lyme disease. Weakened immune system? The vet saw the plaque in the ear during spring shots, and had recommended doing nothing at that time. When I treated for Lyme this summer with a pretty aggressive antibiotic regimen, the aural plaque actually went away very quickly. I'm hesitant to say that's causation, and not just correlation, as I never read anything in my copious reading on Lyme treatment about aural plaques clearing up. But the timing did seem to overlap too much to be coincidence, so I'm just not sure.

My vet pretty strongly recommended reading the research on Aldara treatment from University of Minnesota. This is the resource he shared with me:
https://www.vetmed.umn.edu/centers-...ical-studies/veterinarian-instructions-aldara
There are more links to FAQs from that page.

Here's another article about the Aldara treatment: Could a Cream Eliminate Equine Aural Plaques? | TheHorse.com (This is the actual study in that article)

Good luck!

*disclaimer- I have no connection to University of Minnesota or the manufacturers of Aldara :wink: Just a successful experience using it.

@wbwks - check out the links above or this one for pictures. Basically a scaly growth in the ears.

Awesome! Thanks so much! Ill have the vet take a look at it and see what she thinks about it, very interesting about the treatment of Lyme Disease and the plaque clearing though! Thanks again for the information! Really appreciate it!

Reactions: egrogan

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Make sure what you're dealing with when the vet examines the ears; ie aural plaque or sarcoids:)

One of my horses had aural plaque when I first bought him. About six months down the road, I noticed they had completely disappeared. He's been on my property for 11 years and they have never returned.

All I can figure is the plaque disappearing may have been a change in diet, including pasture and hay as his first 11 years were spent 92 miles NE of me:)

Actually it's that handsome face in my avatar:). That pic was a few months back, he is now 22.

Reactions: csimkunas6

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure what you're dealing with when the vet examines the ears; ie aural plaque or sarcoids:)

One of my horses had aural plaque when I first bought him. About six months down the road, I noticed they had completely disappeared. He's been on my property for 11 years and they have never returned.

All I can figure is the plaque disappearing may have been a change in diet, including pasture and hay as his first 11 years were spent 92 miles NE of me:)

Actually it's that handsome face in my avatar:). That pic was a few months back, he is now 22.
Will do! Ive only had him for 7mo now, his ears had a lot of long thick hair in them when I bought him, so I just noticed them a few months ago. I just figured it was nothing to worry about, which is probably the case but my husband seems to think its growing.

I believe aural plaques are related to fly bites, so weakened immune systems certainly may related
I have read that as well! Which is very possible from where I bought him.

·
Super Moderator
11,187 Posts
One of my mares had them when we bought her. Ugly nasty thing that made her very head shy. We just left it be aside from making sure we always rubbed fly spray around her ears and eventually it disappeared. Fewer flies, better diet, less stress...

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my mares had them when we bought her. Ugly nasty thing that made her very head shy. We just left it be aside from making sure we always rubbed fly spray around her ears and eventually it disappeared. Fewer flies, better diet, less stress...
Thats what my research is basically saying as well. Hopefully now that he is on a set schedule, consistently fed, and sprayed with fly spray thatll help! Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our mare had Aural Plaque and a fly bonnet with ears helped a lot and they eventually went away

Ill start attempting to use fly masks again, I have I believe 4 different kinds as my other gelding gets sunburn, and he seems to get majority off about 50% of the time, maybe if I switch which one he is wearing he wont get them off so quickly. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Comparing it to the size of your thumbnail, it looks pretty big.

It's hard to tell exactly but that doesn't look like what Joker had in his ear. It's been ten years so my memory may not be as clear but I think Joker's were much smaller and smoother.

I would play it safe and let the vet give a diagnosis :)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Comparing it to the size of your thumbnail, it looks pretty big.

It's hard to tell exactly but that doesn't look like what Joker had in his ear. It's been ten years so my memory may not be as clear but I think Joker's were much smaller and smoother.

I would play it safe and let the vet give a diagnosis :)
Its definitely larger in size than Ive seen any pics of online, probably the size of a ping pong ball. Having the vet come out next week, Im super curious as to what they will say it is! :D

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
What Joker had was not any bigger than the eraser on a pencil.

Please let us know what the diagnosis is:)

Also, are you far enough inland to not have to worry about Hurricane Irma when it starts moving up the coast? Jose is coming along behind Irma, Katia appears to be headed for Central Mexico, and it's only September.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got a gelding with aural plaques in both ears that when I got him looked like cauliflower growing out of his ears. He was extremely head shy. I tried Aldara without much success. It was expensive and came in small packets that weren't enough to cover the extensive plaques. Maybe if it came in quart jars it would have worked better for me. What I did find was Dermafas veterinary creme which I apply once a week. The aural plaques haven't gone away but it greatly reduced their size. The gelding is a lot less head shy now. I don't know if his ears feel better or he's gotten used to me messing with his ears once a week for the last 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
11,187 Posts
That was about the size my mare had in her ears. Looked the same. Your vet can tell you for sure.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My OTTB had them really bad when I purchased her. They literally looked like cauliflower growing out of her ears. My vet pulled them out after she floated her teeth while she was still sedated. ICK!

She was always fairly head/ear shy about them (you could touch the outside of her ears but you were NOT touching inside) & it was slightly worse after pulling them out. It was to the point where I could never put salve or swat in them. I just always made sure she had a fly mask with ears & the BO understood she always needed to be turned out with one (even if the other horses weren't). We got some small plaque regrowth - just the kind you could kinda scrape with your nails, but nothing that bad again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts