The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends. I know these aren’t the greatest pics for saddle fit but they were all I had time to get. What do you think? Does it fit? Do I have it positioned properly? I know downunder always say that they want it pretty far forward- not really sure that I agree with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
*waits for the Aussies to show up in this thread and say: But? A horn? WHY?*

Reactions: buggy

·
Premium Member
13,100 Posts
I would recommend putting it as far forward as you can without interfering with the shoulders. You can determine that by either feeling under the front of the saddle while the horse is moving, or by putting it on loose and leading the horse through some tight turns. The movement of the shoulders during the turns should shove the saddle back enough to prevent interference.

I like my DownUnder saddles, but the person I talked to on the phone some years back told me the saddle should sit on top of the shoulder blades. I told her to find someone competent for me to talk to. She took offense. Oh well.

A horn can be a good place to hang a bridle while tacking up. If someone is struggling with balance in two point, it can be an easy way to get rebalanced without bothering the horse. After a hot ride, I've been known to lead my horse the final 1/4 mile of pavement home. The horn makes a good place to hang my helmet:

Also...there was a large moving van ahead of Mia & I this day, with people moving around inside. A giant monster whose stomach was gurgling with hunger! We got past it with some time and coaxing, but I liked having a horn that day too. Maybe that makes me a wimp, but Mia was known to do some spectacular spins when nervous. Those who have been on a madly spinning horse on pavement may have some sympathy for me. Or not. I'm getting too old to care how I look.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
It looks like a pretty good fit. I'm a purist about Aussie saddles and have one without a horn, but sometimes it would be nice to have one to hang a bridle on while stopped for lunch or hook a small bag over on a long ride. Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts