The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, y'all! I'm looking at getting an aussie saddle, but I've got an Annex QH that needs semi QH bars (6" gullet). Is this a thing for aussie saddles? All I've seen are 8" gullets and full QH bars. Also, I need a 16" seat in western, so an 18" in aussie?? Any others things I should look out for when buying? Is $400 a good price range? Any thoughts on brands? Thanks in advance, y'all!

·
Premium Member
24,137 Posts
Hi,
Stock saddles are traditionally built on an English style tree, not a western. Therefore there are no 'bars' & they're not labled 'FQHB' or whatever western size. BUT so saying, there are a lot of 'half breed'(essentially Aussie Stock top on Western frame) saddles these days & perhaps that's what you're looking at. & if you're in the US, perhaps they use the 'QHB' ref to the trees anyway, as being more familiar.

Even in a Western, remember 'semi quarter horse bar' is not an absolute measurement either, but is subjective to the brand - & even within brands, an older saddle may be labled differently. So you do need to measure your horse & measure the angles of the saddle, rather than just picking 'SQHB'. & also remember, bar angle & gullet width are but 2 points to consider when fitting a saddle.

Re seat size, it depends. Traditionally this was measured the English way, from the saddle 'D' in the pommel to the top of the cantle. Whereas Westerns are measured from the back of the... pommelly bit(lable for that on Westerns evades me). But sometimes conventional stocks & esp 'cross breeds' are often measured same as a Western. So if you're not looking in person, equipped with a tape measure, make sure you ask how it's measured before choosing a seat size too.

I'm in Aus, so can't comment on brands you have over there, or price - $400 would be too cheap for a decent one here new, tho you can get old second hands for less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Stock saddles are traditionally built on an English style tree, not a western. Therefore there are no 'bars' & they're not labled 'FQHB' or whatever western size. BUT so saying, there are a lot of 'half breed'(essentially Aussie Stock top on Western frame) saddles these days & perhaps that's what you're looking at. & if you're in the US, perhaps they use the 'QHB' ref to the trees anyway, as being more familiar.

Even in a Western, remember 'semi quarter horse bar' is not an absolute measurement either, but is subjective to the brand - & even within brands, an older saddle may be labled differently. So you do need to measure your horse & measure the angles of the saddle, rather than just picking 'SQHB'. & also remember, bar angle & gullet width are but 2 points to consider when fitting a saddle.

Re seat size, it depends. Traditionally this was measured the English way, from the saddle 'D' in the pommel to the top of the cantle. Whereas Westerns are measured from the back of the... pommelly bit(lable for that on Westerns evades me). But sometimes conventional stocks & esp 'cross breeds' are often measured same as a Western. So if you're not looking in person, equipped with a tape measure, make sure you ask how it's measured before choosing a seat size too.

I'm in Aus, so can't comment on brands you have over there, or price - $400 would be too cheap for a decent one here new, tho you can get old second hands for less.
Thank you! I do realize that there are so many different aspects to consider and measure and such when fitting a saddle. Unfortunately, I can't spend the kind of money to have a saddle made for my horse the way I'd like to. I will definitely ask sellers about seat size, thank you. I'm leaning towards a traditional Australian saddle, with no horn. The only reason I would get one with a horn would be for kids to hold onto. Is there a certain Australian saddlery that makes good saddles for $1000 or less that you could point me towards?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The one I've been trying to get rid of doesn't have full bars like a western, they "float" in the center. 90° angle in the front, not a ton of rock.
Here's pics of it, you can see the angle in the front and how the padded panels don't fully attach along the bottom. It's like a weird english/western/aussi mix of a saddle.

·
Premium Member
24,137 Posts
^'weird Aussie Western mix' is what 'half breeds' are - I love them. But what you pictured, it looks like it may be built on a trditional Stock/English tree style. Don't know what you mean about bars 'floating' tho - does it not have a full tree at all? Or do you just mean, as shown by your hand under it, that the panels aren't fully connected to the base of the saddle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I've been trying to get rid of doesn't have full bars like a western, they "float" in the center. 90° angle in the front, not a ton of rock.
Here's pics of it, you can see the angle in the front and how the padded panels don't fully attach along the bottom. It's like a weird english/western/aussi mix of a saddle.
View attachment 1113078 View attachment 1113079
Would that fit a horse that wears a semi qh bar, 6" gullet western saddle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts