The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azteca Horses?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mercedes 
#1 ·
I searched briefly, but I didn't come up with much... anyone have any information about Azetcas? Any pictures of any? Thoughts on these horses? I've seen some that look very nice, but others that don't look much different than Appendix QHs....

#3 ·
Well I think they are great horses, my barn has a few (mostly Andalusians)

They can be different depending on how it comes out

Some look like Andalusians & feel like Quarter horses

Some look like Quarter horses & feel like Andalusians

it depends on what you want I think

But their temperment is good and they are usually pretty intelligent :D

#4 ·
#5 ·
Like any crossbreed, the result is only as good as the initial match and the good fortune of genetics.

For the most part this combination works out well, provided the QH is a well-conformed individual...not overly downhill built, not post-legged, doesn't have a low neck set, possess substance, isn't too straight through the foreleg, and has properly sized feet.

#6 ·
I had one fro about year, she wasa dapple grey about 15.2 her name was Maggie and she was one of the best horses I have ever worked with, I havent work alot of these horse but they seem to be a easy horse to handle I also handled her younger full blooded sister wo what a black and white and about 14.3 but Maggie was solid in her conormation, sweet temperment not rude or mean, undersaddle you would have to be firm and make things extremly positve more then any other horse in my opinion but that could have been from past training that I dont know of. Great little horse her and her sister, i recomend them if you want somthing solid but spunky!

#8 ·
Let's see a picture of your prize. Obviously, you'll have to be conscientious of the stallion you choose as well. An old style one will probably be more appropriate for the pairing. If you're choosing a stallion from North America then I would look to the Lusitano's first.

#10 · (Edited)
Since selling my stallion I haven't stayed up-to-date on who's still standing.

If one could swing it, Interagro is THE place for Lusitano stallions. You can't find better Lusitano's anywhere. I'm not sure if they ship semen. I've only ever known them to have a yearly sale of some of their young stock. They do have a US contact now. Anyway, if one can't get semen from one of their stallions, at least one can look at photos of absolutely stunningly perfect Lusitanos.

Here's a link to their site. Quinio is a prime example of an ideal Lusitano for crossing with a well-structured QH mare. Man, I love these people, they even tell you the percentage of blood from the various bloodlines.

Quínio Interagro

There were some nice stallions in NY...gosh, what was the name of that place...let me look in my files...ah, here it is...Caballos de los Cristiani.

Caballos de los Cristiani - Stallions

Yep, they do still have some superior quality individuals. I also see they've ventured out into some less 'classic' individuals to try and grab some of the sporthorse market. Compare Arete (very classic) to Bellus (very sporthorse).

For an Azteca I'd go with the classic type. Demo is also classic.

It's too bad, they had a black stallion who was sheer perfection and it looks as if Malandante is no longer standing...he may even have passed away...he was quite an individual as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.