The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this will be my post for updates on how things are going with our gelding... Thanks to so many responses to my Proud Cut Post with helpful thoughts and suggestions. I no longer feel like I have to second guess every little thing I do with him. I feel more confident and a little more knowledgeable now in finding help and doing what little I can working with him on the ground.

So far since my original post, It been baby steps. I have just been working on just continuing moving slowly with him. Paying even more attention to how our little herd interacts, really learning how to listen to him and talk to him. I have been doing little 5 to 10 min sessions with him on basic/simple liberty exercises. Trying to get even the slightest connection with him. He is slowly showing signs already of being a little less spooky and he is actually paying more attention to us. I have been less hesitant to use my mare as a tool to help in our progress of working with him and it seems to be working. The other day when out doing some basic liberty exercises in the pasture with them I started with my mare just doing some simple walking, backing up and turning as I was working with her I could see his curiosity peeking and he started following what we were doing at a respectful distance. So when I was done with her I decided to go right into working with him and he was very willing to pay attention to what I was asking of him. The next day I did the same thing but started with him he was a little unsure at first but he quickly gave me his attention and any time he would lose focus on me I was able to regain his attention without much of a fuss. Over the last week and a half or so that has been our routine for ground working and gaining trust. Just a few days ago I was feeling so confident about our baby steps in the right direction that I added a new exercise in latter in the day. where I haltered both my mare and gelding up and Took them both for a walk past some of what have been scary spots for him and he was a rock star paying attention to me and never spooked once. Another day I did the same and added in a new step where I walked them off our property and down to the county rd about a quarter mile away past our neighbor's dogs and cattle and across a small open bridge. Once again he rocked it. So, I think I will be keeping up with baby steps and hopefully, I can work toward doing these things without my mare at our side. For me even though it's baby steps I see it as good steps in the right direction. He can still be spooky but he is defiantly showing signs of improving with his trusting us and being willing to give us his attention when we need or want it.

I also have really started to look for a new trainer to work with him and us in regards to being able to maybe ride him again and not be bucked off every time.

If anyone can think of anything else I can do to try to work with him I would so be open to it. As my toolbox of Groundwork exercises and Liberty exercises are limited. I have to thank everyone again that responded to my original post as all of your responses really helped us and have been apart of these steps in the right direction. Not every day is a rock star day but at least there is an improvement.

Below is a photo of both of them out grazing with just me handling them something that I never would have felt comfortable doing just a few weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Countrylovingmamma,
Sounds as if you're on the right track. Keep up with the baby steps and earn his trust. Whatever you do, don't get bored. Working with a new horse can be chore, but you have to remember, you are training him to trust you, and that seems to be going well.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Hopefully, you'll find a confidant trainer to get him where you want him to be.

Good luck,
Roger

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, Rodger. I am hoping we are on the right track we have had this guy for just about 6 months and its been a long road and second-guessing and trying to gain trust. I don't think we could ever get bored with him as he has been a huge teacher to us and i think will always have way more to teach. And I am one who almost never backs down from a challenge and that's exactly what he is for us.

Countrylovingmamma,
Sounds as if you're on the right track. Keep up with the baby steps and earn his trust. Whatever you do, don't get bored. Working with a new horse can be chore, but you have to remember, you are training him to trust you, and that seems to be going well.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Hopefully, you'll find a confidant trainer to get him where you want him to be.

Good luck,
Roger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.