The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel embarrassed for asking this! But it's been a while since I used a back cinch... but I just use an Off Billet on both sides of the cinch right? The cinch I got was a deal but didn't come with the whole thing... so trying to remember how it attaches to the back of the saddle, pretty sure it's off billets. I want to use it while saddling the young one as I think the saddle bouncing it throwing him off...

Appreciate any help. And no eye rolls! lol :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
It's really not an off-billet--- off-billets are double-layered, while a cinch billet is usually only single. I'd recommend buying a complete setup if you can-look for something that has both billets, the cinch, and the hobble strap that goes between the front and rear cinch and keeps the rear cinch from sliding back and turning into a bucking strap! Snug up the rear cinch so you can barely slide your hand under it. Any looser than that and it does no good.

If your saddle is bouncing around on the horse's back, it doesn't fit well. The rear cinch is meant to keep the saddle down when the horse is stopping hard from a gallop, turning a barrel, etc-- not to keep it down when the horse is just walking, trotting, or loping.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@SilverMaple - Thanks for your reply.... yeah the saddle isn't a good fit, I'm just waiting for him to mature a little more before getting him a saddle, though I've been shopping :) ... this saddle is light, I just want to keep it down while I'm working with him on the ground, when he stops it pops up and he seems to get disturbed by that... the full rigs I've found seem rather thin, the one I got was a thicker one and has the hobble strap just not the billets... I may just go that route though.

I appreciate your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.