The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone 1st post. Looking for general opinions/advice and maybe just conversation:). Back story; I’m currently 37. When I was in my teens I lived for everything that was horse. I’ve never owned a horse but spent a lot of allowances on lessons and for every birthday present for a few years I got to go to horse camp for a couple of weeks each summer. I would probably call my self an confident advanced beginner. However, that was 20 years ago. Life and family happened. I’m looking to get back in the horse world. I’m not sure what my ultimate goal is. My heart says I want a horse of my own but my brains a little afraid that maybe it was a childhood fantasy, you know? I’m beginning volunteering at a local rescue next week for 1. See if it’s as wonderful as I remember and 2. Get experience in horse care (mucking, grooming, etc) in case this really is something I want to go forward with. After that I’m debating wether I should try leasing a horse first before I purchase one to get even more hands on time or just go straight to picking out my horse:)). Currently if I bought a horse I would have to board it someplace close(lots of choices in my area). We are fixing up the home we live in in the hopes to sell in a year or two and move to a place with some acreage. The cost of boarding vs leasing is pretty much even in what I’ve been able to research around here. I guess I’m curious what others think? Is this a reasonable plan, would anyone recommend additional steps? Also, would you lease or buy? If you made it this far thanks for reading all of that. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,077 Posts
As someone who got back into horses after a sixteen year break, four and a half years ago, my advice would be this:

Lots and lots of lessons with a good instructor, first
Part board, second
Lease or own, third

After that much time off, even if your brain remembers how to ride well, your body won't, and you'll need a lot of instruction to get things back where they need to be. And you won't know what you want out of a horse until you put the time in to discover the rider you are now vs. the rider you were 20 years ago. You might even be a better rider at this point in your life, once you put the time in. I know I am now. But what you want and what you think you want, at the moment, might not line up. Take your time to develop yourself and network before you start horse shopping. You'll thank yourself later.

My current status in that regard: four and a half years into re-riding, part boarding the best-trained horse I've ever ridden, riding better than I ever have, with more riding opportunities than I've ever had... and I still don't own a horse, and things couldn't be better. And it's still all costing me WAY less than owning one!!

·
Registered
49,418 Posts
Take some lessons for now. When you are situated to buy a horse, you will want some recent experience to draw upon, and a qualified 'eye' to go with you when you go horse shopping.

We welcome you here. This is a great place for you to learn a lot.

oh, I went back to horses at age 40. took lessons and half leased, for years. It can work, AND raise a family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I’m definitely not in a race and plan on putting some time in at the rescue reacquainting myself to the basics before go to the next step. The owner of the rescue also does lessons so maybe she’ll let me trade some sweat equity. I like the idea if leasing, at least to start. I’m just not sure the best way to go about it as I’ve never leased before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts