The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i was having a wonderfull day i was happy and smiling. so when i got home my mom called me and told me...

so the vet came out and looked at jj (cause it looked like he had an infected eye) so the vet came out and said he was in bad pain it looked like he got kicked in the head...

my heart just dropped when she said this and i knew that wasnt even the worst part cause then she said....

the vet said we either have to pay $4000 to get his eye removed or we will have to put him down.( i stopped listening at this part its like it wasnt real etiher way ill never be able to jump him. i dont want to loose him!

This was gonna be our last year to show together too. im in tears right now i dont even think i told him i loved him the last time i rode him. he doesnt deserve this.

so tommorrow will determine what will happen to him. im soo scared. im leaving school halfway through to take him.:cry:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Aw! Im so Sorry! Personally... Well im not sure how old he is... but i would put himm down.... 4000 dollars is a lot of money to get his eye removed. Then never Jump him again... Tell him you love him spend as much time with him as possible then the time comes where he goes to a happeir place

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey i know this is hard for you and i have been through the same experience but with my dog. i was at my friends house and i was gone for about a week when i got back m mum said that my dog got put down i was heart broken. this was about 3 years ago i still love her. I know you are very unhappy and this is very sad but if it does come to the sad case you have to think about your horse and if he is in pain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is a lot of money for an eye, but so you know, one eyed horses jump just fine. They have to get acclimated to it, of course. But it is very much possible. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I wish you the best in whatever decision is made. Sending out good vibes.

·
Registered
892 Posts
$4000 to remove his eye? I would ask around. My friend's horse lost her eye and the total bill including the prosthetic they placed in the socket was $1800. She doesn't jump but she's an excellent trail and lesson horse.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I'm so sorry!

If it is any help, a lot of horses do very well with one eye. They either adapt or the don't (so I've heard from a vet at a racehorse clinic in KY) but most horses with one eye do very, very well and can still do things that are productive under saddle. Really depends on the horse and the trust you guys have in eachother.

He's too young. I wouldn't put him down personally, unless he's not adapting well to the one-eyed thing. The vet said that they should adapt within 30 days or less and then they are fine.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Get a second opinion. And if you can afford it, save him. If he's only eight you could still get a lot of use out of him. He may jump just fine with one eye gone. And even if he doesn't there will be plenty of things he can do. I mean that 4000 dollars is buying you many more years with your horse. And if it turns out you can't do what you want with him, then I am sure you can find him a good home. Even with one eye he will still be a good looking horse and I bet you would be able to find someone who could use him on the trail, dressage or barrel racing or something. It just seems so sad to put him down when he is only half way through his life just because he won't be able to jump anymore.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Might try contacting horse rescues in your area and see if they can help you. I looked online and found one that wasn't based on the slaughter industry.

Bearvalleyad.org

you might also try giving him to someone willing to pay for his surgery. Effectivly selling him for four thousand dollars. Put adds up across the Internet and see if you can find some one to take a chance on him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hope you can find a way to remove the eye. There are a couple one eyed horses at my stable, they get around just fine. I really wish the best for both of you! So sad...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.