The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day in my lesson me and my horse had a pretty bad fall, we were doing a 1.10m course so nothing super big and we went over a 3'6 oxer and we had gone over the course at that height once before with one refusal at a dofferent jump because of a bad turn but he didn't clip the rail Or get a bad distance, it was perfect except when he landed he tripped and because of how fast we were going it pulled me forward too and he ended on falling on my leg, luckily he was fine though, just covered in sand, I just had a sore back and a sore leg and I didn't notice till my coach pointed it out but a scrape on my elbow, it was funny though cuz I started laughing cuz I had sand in my nose,mouth,hair and everything (yay for helmets or else I would've had a ton of sand in my hair) but after getting the sand out of my mouth I got back on just to make sure my horse was fine,(no I did not do the course again as we didn't want him to be sore) he was such a good boy though, he just stood a few feet away from me and waited for somebody to get him, but Yeah I'm a bit surprised because I wasnt even shaken up and I didn't cry :O lol

Anyways I figure we can make this one of those things where everybody shares there falls? Weather it's a funny fall or a bad fall share yours? Thanks :)

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
I was riding this mare, she was my horse's pasture buddy at the time. She's green, known for bucking, sassy, but she's very attentive and willing. So I was schooling her for her owner. Walk and trot in figures, mainly serpentines and whatnot. Anyway We come down center-line and she starts bucking. I'm not prepared when she slams on the brakes and I pop off and land square on the top of my head. It hurt to look up or down.. I couldn't ride a horse for 2 months and even then it was only walk.

Turns out I had sprained my ankle, bruised my arms, and sprained my neck. It sucked..

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
not any bad buck offs but i was riding this young colt for my trainer on a trail ride. it was his first one and he was tripping all over the place... we were riding down a little ledge into the wash so i could work him there (only about 9 or ten feet to the bottom) and it gave out under his hooves and he went *** over teakettle into the wash he ended up on his side and my arm and leg were pinned underneath him... i dug myself out and only had a couple scrapes on my arm. the horse was fine too. he just got up. shook off and i got back on and we finished the ride fine. lucky for me it was summer so the sand in the wash was nice and deep and soft from all the rain.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Actualy compared to some of the falls i've had, yours sounds fairly tame.

I've had a horse bolt, attempt to jump out of the school, hit the top bar of the fence, summersault and come down on top of me. I wa sout cold for 20 mins, I was taken to hospital with a suspected broken neck, I crushed 2 discs in my lower spine and got a beautiful case of gravel rash that had to be scrubbed out, subsiquently got infected and finaly ended up having to have maggot therapy on it. the crushed discs in my spine have caused a sciatica in my right leg and a weakness in that leg.
This horse was an RDa horse that I was schooling

My current pony has bolted several times and normaly with an epic explosion first, i've been taken to hospital by ambulance twice in 2011/12, once with suspected broken neck, once with suspected fracture to lumbar spine. i've walked into A&E several times, i currently require the services of the physio for a knee injury, for whip lash injury and more recently for my elbow. I fractured a small bone in my wrist 3 weeks ago falling off him after he spooked, exploded and went out fromunder me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
One time I was riding a 14 something hand pony in a dressage saddle in an arena with railroad ties and wooden stumps as an arena boarder. As we were cantering around, the pony tripped, I fell off full force and landed on a stump crunching my hand which was covering/in front of my chest. I sat there crying because my chest hurt bad and I was scared because I thought maybe I had punctured a lung. I just sat there waiting to see if blood was going to start coming out of my mouth. My lungs were fine, but they felt bruised for days. My hand was injured though. I couldnt move it or my fingers at all without excruciating pain. It swelled up and turned black and blue. The doctor said I didnt break anything, but I probably sprained or pulled a tendon/ligament in my hand. I had it in a sling for probably a month or more. Even now, about 6+ years later, that hand gets tired easier than the other.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
This is my latest and greatest, I just posted this story in a thread on here..Catching Wild Cattle...I will do the Readers Digest version...

Broodmares blew through a bunch of dry cows we were trying to lot so we could put a sort on them...cows went to peel out...I run to the head, got the ears laid back....horse sticks front feet through a loop of cable buried in the ground and hidden by sagebrush...I got lawn darted on my face...rung my bell pretty good...spittin out teeth, one of them came out through my lip...could eat nothing but mashed taters for a few days(couldn't open or close mouth well..made talking difficult..made husband happy) road rash on face...weeks before I could get the time to go to town to get my teeth replaced/repaired...looked like an old tweeker...good times.
The end
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
726 Posts
My "worst" fall was more funny than anything but could've been bad if my horse wasn't looking out for me.

It was about 10 pm and it was after a horse show and we were playing games in the arena. Frank is pretty tolerant of things for the most part, but he does get a burr up his butt sometimes, lol.

We were doing a ribbion race, where teams of two riders have a 5ft long strand of caution tape. Both riders have to hold an end of the ribbion, run down to the end of the arena and turn around a cone and run home, fastest team wins.

We did it one time and Frank was fine with it, just really slow, lol. So I was assing off and tried to get him to go faster our second run. The girl on my team was going a lot faster than me and I was leaning pretty far forward and I must have done something subconciously that mad Frank mad because he bucked. It wasn't a big buck but since I was leaning so far forward it just kind of sent me forward. My left foot was still in the stirrup and I held on to the horn with my right hand, I was clinging onto the side of the saddle for dear life! Lol! I kept trying to grab my rein with my left hand to stop him. Well he kept running around the arena and getting faster lol, I just remember looking down at the ground and thinking, "crap, i'm a goner" as I felt myself slide more and more to the side with each stride.

Finally I grabbed my rein an tried to slow him down but instead it made him turn and then i lost my grip and fell right in front of him. He was going pretty fast and my friend said I rolled a good 6ft or more, lol. Luckily he jumped over instead of stepping on me. I was fine, just had some cuts on my back.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
another time me and my friend were riding next to a little wash. a rattler slid next to her horse, he freaked and went straight up and landed wedged upside down in the wash. my friend was stuck beneath him with about an inch in between her and the horse. luckily the ground was hard enough that it didnt break and have him go the rest of the way down and crush her. i ended up having to rope his back legs and turn him on his side up onto the side of the wash...thankfully hes a ranch horse and he behaved amazingly well. she had a slight concussion and the horse came up lame for a few weeks, got the chiropractor out to him and he got better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had only had Joe for a few months, and I thought it would be a fun idea to enter him in the local ODE.

Dressage was a disaster, and he pigrooted and bucked but I survived, after some tears, and my coach giving me a pep talk, I proceeded to XC.

There was a game of polocross going on in the next field and Joe being an OTTB, thought GALLOP. We had pasted the first two jumps but were traveling way to fast to for the next, I tried to slow down and he bolted, I was a terrified 14 year old girl and I had no experience in dealing with his, he turned sharlpy and I got flung.

The ambulance came, and I went to hospital with a suspected broken arm, back damage and a concussion. Mum said while I was on green gas that I was getting angry at the ambulance drivers because I didn't get to do show jumping, and they cut my jacket. The only reason we kept Joe at that stage was because the first thing I asked was if he was okay. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a bad fall, while I was riding a horse that I was considering buying!
My mom and I drove an hour out to see a horse that was on a list of three that we were serious about buying. He was the most exspensive so I was expecting the best from him on my first ride with him. She round penned him beforehand and tack him up, which i would prefer to see( to make sure that they are resectful on the ground, while roundpenned and not cinchy or anything along those lines. She rode him first, brought him over some higher jumps then I have yet to do without my trainer(3-3'3). Everything was seeming to go well, so i hopped on him, walked him, trotted him, and he had a very bouncey trot then cantered him, somewhat smooth, I began trotting, then cantering the low jumps, up to 2' then we raised the jump to 2'6 ( the heighest jump im comfortable without my trainer on a new horse) and i went to canter it, but he began to gallop, so i circled him , when i went to change directions, he yanked the rein and galloped and bucked down the rail, i reached dow to grab the rein, but he bucked one big buck and I fell forward in front of him, he tranmpled over me, cracking my helment (not my head!) and steped on my arm partially, and dragged another hoof across my back, superising i didnt break anything and hopped back on and disiplined him. It turns out that my shoulder was fractured, That was not a good day for me :/.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Well mine isn't nearly as bad as yalls, but just his morning I was doing some light jumping with a horse at my barn. We were in a different part of the 100 acres of land from te other horses, so he was basically alone.. Freaked out after a few jumps and tried to bolt back home. In focusing on just getting him slowed down, I must have asked him to turn too tightly on slick ground and the next thing I knew was that he ground was coming at me fast. He completely slid out from under me, landed on my left leg but he jumped right back up and so did I. We were both fine but it scared the crap out of me, all my weight bounced off my hip and head so that didnt feel too good :/ he stood there like a champ though, looked at me confused wondering why I was on the ground then stood still for me to get back on (mind you this is an impatient 5 year old 17h warmblood).. I'm just glad we are both completely fine after it :)

·
Banned
1,689 Posts
Back about 10 months ago when I was just learning to ride I lost control of this OTTB that loved to pull on the bit and he broke into a canter. I started bouncing around on the saddle and knew it was just a matter of time before I came off.

So I decided to bail instead of letting it happen. So when I went over I just let myself roll of his left side. My right leg was still up on top of his back when I'm halfway down his side so I severely sprained my groin, to the point that when I finally was able to stand and walk I could hear my R hip socket making crunchy noises. Then I landed with my lower back taking my full weight on hard ground.

Bottom line I was in extreme pain but managed to limp to my car and drive home. I could not get up the steps from garage to house so wife drove me to the clinic. Clinic doctor said you need a hospital so he called the FD rescue squad to transport me there.

Long story short I ended up in crutches for three weeks, then started walking with a cane. Broken tailbone, and lots of internal bruising. Doctors couldn't/wouldn't do anything to stop the pain except give me drugs. So I stopped going to them and instead went to a chiropractor. In three adjustments I stopped needing the cane and with regular visits not only I resumed riding but became 100% pain free the right way (without drugs).

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I decided to bail instead of letting it happen. So when I went over I just let myself roll of his left side. My right leg was still up on top of his back when I'm halfway down his side so I severely sprained my groin, to the point that when I finally was able to stand and walk I could hear my R hip socket making crunchy noises. Then I landed with my lower back taking my full weight on hard ground.

Bottom line I was in extreme pain but managed to limp to my car and drive home. I could not get up the steps from garage to house so wife drove me to the clinic. Clinic doctor said you need a hospital so he called the FD rescue squad to transport me there.

Long story short I ended up in crutches for three weeks, then started walking with a cane. Broken tailbone, and lots of internal bruising. Doctors couldn't/wouldn't do anything to stop the pain except give me drugs.
Wow. I had almost the exact same fall just before Thanksgiving.

Only in my case, I'd spent three months riding only in the arena (a case of limited time plus too lazy to put on hoof boots) so the first time I rode down to my north field I found sabre-toothed tigers had colonized the woods bordering the property. I sat the first few spooks but it was that spook-one-direction, slam-on-brakes, then spook-going-the-opposite-way that unseated me.

Like you, I found myself hanging about halfway down the nearside, right foot still over the offside. I could have pulled myself back aboard, but I was a little worried about unbalancing my horse (although, that is his chunky self at left in my avatar, with me on him, so looking back I believe he could've managed). So I thought "Oh, well, probably not much further to the ground anyway." Yeah.

I was lucky not to pull anything. But my weight landing on my hip sent my lower back into spasms. I couldn't do anything for days - DH had to feed both my horses and the neighbor's horse I'd promised to feed over the holiday:oops: - and couldn't get to a doctor until about a week later because it was Thanksgiving. Me, I'm all about better living through chemistry, though:wink: - I love me some Flexeril.:D

Anyway, thanks for posting that. I've been kind of down in the dumps about taking so long to recover from the fall. Although I got back on and rode for about fifteen minutes afterward - until my back started grabbing - I wouldn't have been able to ride again for weeks afterward. All those people who, with the best intentions, kept saying "Oh, I've fallen off dozens of times," really made me wonder if I'd waited a bit too late in life to take up riding.

So this thread is making me feel lots better.:) Which is good, since I now have a fresh horse who hasn't been ridden since Thanksgiving to get back into shape for spring.:wink:

Oh, ETA: I've been told next time I decide to bail I should get both feet on one side of the horse before doing so. Just thought I'd pass that bit of wisdom along. :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
My very FIRST time on a horse: I didn't know ANYTHING about horses, couldn't afford a trainer, and had these 2 horses for only 2 days when I wanted to get on one of them... I picked Cookie, the tobiano (they were a tobiano and a solid paint). I climbed her her from the fence and she ran my leg across barbed wire before dumping me into her water bucket head first. I got up and started walking when my 6 year old sister starts screaming that I am bleeding. I didn't feel it and denied that I was bleeding when she insisted and I lokked down and my leg was covered in blood, it didn't hurt.

She went on to injure me more in the 4 years I owned her. She smashed me into a brick wall when I was leading her, she purposely stepped on my feet every chance she could, she would run me through pine trees (straight through the middle of them), buck me off, chase people (not just me) down and kick them, and much more... She even kicked a farrier. She was definitely one tough Cookie.

I train horses now, so I could sit her and write about my injuries all day long... Let me know if you want to hear one more story.

·
Banned
1,689 Posts
FirstLightFarm, if you have not been to a chiropractor, you really should try it.

The source of my pain came from nerves pinched by my skeletal structure being totally out of alignment.

As you well know, pain medication just masks the pain. The source of the pain needs to be dealt with, either surgically, with anti inflammatory drugs, chiropractically, or with other holistic methods. But it has to be found and fixed.

In my case, the improvement after beginning chiropractic treatments was hard to believe. I went to my first treatment on a Wednesday, a second one on Friday, and a third on Saturday. On Monday morning I got up to shower and walked from my bed to the shower without assistance from a cane. Something that would have been impossible a few days prior.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks, mildot, but I'm OK now. I find if I keep up with my Pilates, then my back doesn't hurt. OTOH, if I slack off (as I did last fall) then it does. Maybe the weakened core muscles even contributed to my inability to stay on.

I don't believe in chiropracty. But I'm glad you've healed from your fall.:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
One bad, one funny.

I went to go try a horse for the therapy barn I was working for with my boss. The woman who had the horse was with the vet because her other horse had a hole in its chest, so she gave us the tack and said the rings down there. Usually I always make the owner get on first in case the horse is acting up. For some reason we didn't wait for the owner, he was a little antsy as we were getting him ready. I remember looking at my boss and saying he is either going to be perfect or try to kill me. Well, he tried to kill me. Was great for the first 10 min then decided he didn't want to work anymore. I put my leg on him to keep him going, and he threw his head inbetween his legs and went off bucking. I got thrown forward and landed on the horn (was in a western saddle), I went to get off nicely he bucked again and got me off. He then turned to charge me, thank god my boss and the owner had jumped in the ring to chase him off. Ended up with a broken tailbone. Owners son got on and the same thing happened, needless to say he is not a therapy horse today.

My other one was off of my horse, first day able to ride outside after winter. Jumped down a line and the other horse in the ring got excited. Mine just couldnt hold it in anymore and bucked good and got me off. I slid about 10ft across a patch of ice, I was soaked, covered in sand, and had a nice hemtoma on my elbow. My trainers first concern..... he yells to my mother where is the video? He wanted it because he said the splash I made looked like a speed boat and he wanted the video. To this day, I am the Megan Boat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alcatraz- omg the speed boat one is hilarious!! Haha when I do fall off or even not fall but something funny happens the first thing I say is "did you get that on video!?" haha luckily my friend got it on video last night cuz my mom panicked and recorded the roof haha

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've really only had two.

The first was almost four years ago. I was warming up Scooter over some tiinnny (think like 2') verticals and he stopped at the last second and dropped his neck/shoulder and I went flying. I landed on my head and cracked my helmet. Bought a new one and figured that was that...shortly after, I started getting headaches more and more often until finally, it was an all day every day affair. I missed school 2-3 times a month because the headaches were so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Four years later and I'm just now learning that I have a midline shift in my vertibrae and a 15-degree rotation in my C2 and C3 vertebrae, leaving the muscles in my neck in a constant spasm. I actually just got shot up with Botox and am heading back into yet another route of physical therapy to try and correct the problem (and they wonder why I have confidence issues on Scooter, haha)

The other one was this past summer. Frenchie was really in his little box of crazy and trying to stop everywhere. I rode him through most of his antics but at one fence, I asked him to go and he started and then stopped and skidded into the jump. He demolished it and ended up almost sitting, with my leg trapped between his belly and a pole. I managed to get free and bailed right before he REALLY started freaking out. When all was said and done, we had broken reins, a cracked standard (that thing was beyond repair) and a nasty cut on Fry's leg. That horse has mental issues, I swear.

I guess I'm lucky. Most of my falls are stupid, like the time my friend and I decided to ride Harley bareback double, forgetting that he had a ticklish spot on his back. He bucked and I was sitting on the ground before we'd even moved away from the mounting block, lmfao. I only count that as 1/2 of a fall though, since I don't think I was ever technically sitting on his back (also, we weren't moving).

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.