The Horse Forum banner

Bad weather colic

2550 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  OdinsOwn
So my sister's pony is fairly prone to colic and usually has a few mild episodes throughout the spring and summer seasons, always preceding a horrible storm. However, friday evening in the face of a relatively bad snowstorm (for us NJ people at least!) he did it yet again. This is the first time he has shown any symptoms of colic during the winter months, but it still fell in line within 12 hours before a bad storm rolling in. I guess it has to do with the change in barometric pressure and extreme switches in temperature/etc that set him off. In the face of another snow storm rolling in, I am hoping that he isn't triggered by the weather again.
Nothing like the threat of having to deal with serious colic issues and the chance of surgery needed when theres however many feet of snow on the ground and you can't get the trailer out of the drive!
Just wondering if anyone else has a horse that seems to be set off by severe weather? Nothing like some bad timing (not that there's ever a good time for colic)

Oh... luckily Danny made a full recovery after the vet coming out to tube him with mineral oil. It was a long night of walking in the snow for us, and thats the first time its ever been serious enough to need a vet's assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
808 Posts
My own Danny goes through the exact same thing, although it may not be as often as yours. He last colicked when we had a week of really warm weather then a blast of super cold weather. Not severe, but enough to make him uncomfortable. Is he getting impaction or gas colic? Mine is usually (knock on wood) gas colic. I'm sure you're doing most of these, but these are the precautions we take:

Fresh water as often as possible and keep the water from getting ice chunks in it. Warm water as often as possible. I board so I don't have complete control over this, but we do the best we can.

No treats at ALL other than Probios horse treats. Danny's previous owner realized he has an allergy to corn that irritates his digestive system so we're super careful about what he eats. He's currently on Strategy with a coating of vegetable oil to help everything move through his system. He's also on SmartDigest Ultra from Smartpak. There was some suspicion of ulcers, but he's so laid back that my vet highly doubts it.

Free choice hay to keep the gut regulated. Free choice mineral or salt block to keep him drinking.

If he does show discomfort, he gets a syringe of pepto bismol, followed by 30 minutes of walking. If that doesn't help, he gets banamine and the vet gets a phone call!

My way of thinking is that he should have access to as much hay and water as possible throughout the day, and his schedule should be as regular as possible (turnout times, feeding times, etc). I also watch him like a hawk for any signs of changes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.