The Horse Forum banner

Bad weather colic

2550 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  OdinsOwn
So my sister's pony is fairly prone to colic and usually has a few mild episodes throughout the spring and summer seasons, always preceding a horrible storm. However, friday evening in the face of a relatively bad snowstorm (for us NJ people at least!) he did it yet again. This is the first time he has shown any symptoms of colic during the winter months, but it still fell in line within 12 hours before a bad storm rolling in. I guess it has to do with the change in barometric pressure and extreme switches in temperature/etc that set him off. In the face of another snow storm rolling in, I am hoping that he isn't triggered by the weather again.
Nothing like the threat of having to deal with serious colic issues and the chance of surgery needed when theres however many feet of snow on the ground and you can't get the trailer out of the drive!
Just wondering if anyone else has a horse that seems to be set off by severe weather? Nothing like some bad timing (not that there's ever a good time for colic)

Oh... luckily Danny made a full recovery after the vet coming out to tube him with mineral oil. It was a long night of walking in the snow for us, and thats the first time its ever been serious enough to need a vet's assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
24,143 Posts
If he's 'prone' to colic have you looked into his overall diet, management & stress levels? Might be stating the obvious, but I'll state it anyway.... Does he have free choice roughage - either grazing or hay? Does he have low-starch, grain free rations? Is he fed little & often? Is he turned out most of the time, exercised enough, comfortable & confident in his surrounds, at least the vast majority of the time? Is it possible he is IR or Cushings, so more sensitive to 'junk food' &/or unhealthy feeding practices?

Never heard of weather causing colic, so can only suggest the above general stuff sorry.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.