The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I have an 11 month old mule who is out of a (says the guy who I bought him from) 14.2hh Rocky Mountain mare. But at 11 months old this little guy is about 11.3hh. I've done multiple tests multiple times and every one of them say he's estimated to reach 12hh. I searched the forums and the magic that is google but it seems everyone's horses/mules ALWAYS jumped up a good hand or two from this point onward (if they were even this small at 11 months to begin with)--however this was always predicted fairly accurately with one of the tests! My tests all say this guy is "fully grown"!

I mean, I love the little guy either way, but as you can imagine, I'm a bit thrown. So what do you guys think? Is my mule almost fully grown at 10 months or is there a chance that these tests just don't work on him? I was really hoping for that 14hh! D:

· Registered
5,934 Posts
10 months is nothing, he will grow. I must admit, I don't have direct experience with mules, but I don't see why would they be too different from horses in this area, and most horses I know still continue to grow and fill out after 5-8 years of age.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10 months is nothing, he will grow. I must admit, I don't have direct experience with mules, but I don't see why would they be too different from horses in this area, and most horses I know still continue to grow and fill out after 5-8 years of age.
So you don't think the string tests and others mean much in this case? I mean, I'd certainly be glad to hear that!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll just throw my two cents in too. I also have no experience with mules. I did have a mare that I got at 10 months. She was 15hh. by the time she was fully grown she was 16.2hh. There's always hope. Your guy is still young.
Thanks! I needed all of this "don't worry about it he'll grow" stuff! :D I suppose I'll have to see how the years go and be patient!

· Registered
2,662 Posts
He'll definitely grow! Mules, being hybrids, typically end up being taller than either their donkey father or horse mother, so unless he is by a VERY small jack (like, Mom got in with a very determined mini donkey small), I wouldn't worry at all. If he's already 11.3 at 11 months, I'd say he's well on track to outstrip his mom growth-wise.

Remember, mules are a different animal altogether from horses, even though they're related - they grow slower and live longer. Tests meant for a horse are usually not going to work the same way with a mule. He may not reach his full height until he is 5 or 6, which sounds like a long time - but also remember that with good care, he could live into his 40's and be ridden into his 30's.

That said, if you intend to ride him someday, make sure he's given enough time to grow up before you put him to real work - you can break them out at 3 or 4, but hard work should be avoided til 5 or 6.

· Registered
262 Posts
Mulefeather is right on. Unless the jack was a mini he will keep growing. Mules are slow to mature I like to do ground work etc but no real serious riding until 5. Their mind just isn't mature enough, especially john mules.

My experience only, but john mules are like little boys, always into something, mouthy and want to play constantly. If he hasn't been gelded, despite the fact that mules don't reproduce, he might need to be gelded.

My other 2 cents, mules remember things so when he is gelded, don't be the one to be holding him. Best to drop him off at the vet then pick him up later so he doesn't associate the event with you.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! That's excellent information and even better reminder. Especially because the trainer we took him to has been treating him a lot like a horse (despite having a mule himself) and said we could start riding him at 2--which really didn't sit right with me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.