The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i got bailey he loaded into the trailer easily no problems.
now its been 2.5 months and i tried to load him into the trailer to go for a trail ride with denny. now this time he freaked big time. almost hit his head on the ceiling type deal.

now what would cause a horse to be ok one time but freak the next...i would say bad experience or mild drugs when i picked him up...
but he cleared vet check so i dont see why they would drug him. and bad experience could not have been with me .. i hope as i took every precaution when driving him home. but we did arrive at my place when it was dark out...so i am not sure if that could play to it.

So how do i fix his new fear. he is very sensitive and to much pushing makes him worse and you have to take a step back. i need ideas on a happy medium to get him into a 2 horse straight load.

i dont think it was buddy soreness as he had one buddy with him and when riding around the property he doesn't care if he goes out alone. i think he has a general fear of trailers. he gets all white eyed and head up high and lots of prancing with the sight of trailer. i have worked him just walking around it, standing tied to it, and just groomed him near the loading area to calm him down. but it doesn't help. i can be out there for hours and have his head lowered and fully relaxed like he is half asleep, but when you ask to go in he freaks all over again...

any idea or tips... much appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I don't know why he is doing this but my horse was doing something similar to this...

Everytime we moved him it was in a 4 horse slant. Jumped in no problems. We recently bought a 2 horse and he knew he was supposed to load in it but wouldn't. He'd get his front legs up in the trailer once I shook the treat bag but wanted to be stubborn. So next day I carried a lunge whip with me ad tapped him in the butt and he loaded fine. I don't think he has ever been in a 2 horse though.

Maybe if you are using a different trailer that is smaller he may feel trapped? Or clostrophobic? Good luck finding out though!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
420 Posts
keep everything calm, relaxed and always be patient. Alli simply cant handle too much pressure either so i did groundwork that she was used to at the entrance. She was tense but soon relaxed when she realsied i wasn't bothered about the trailer.

I then backed her up, walked her forwards, back, forwards until i was stepping on the ramp but she wasn't. This ignited her curiosity made her want to come sniff and suss out this ramp that i wasn't letting her on :) let her sniff then backed her before she got bored and repeted.

Eventually she was standing with her feet at the base of the ramp but kept bashing her hooves when she tried to move so got my trainer (& trailer owner!) to pick up her front foot and put it on the ramp... and in we went! Well except the back end which had the same problem as the front :D imagine a horse with its front feet inside the trailer and its back feet firmly planted at the base of the ramp!

riding over next weekend to try again. Hopefully I won't be needing to ride back home :p

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here's what I have done.

Teach the horse on sending them. Then slowly "send" them into the trailer, make sure the door is tied open, or have a partner hold it. Keep it nice and calm. Once Baily is in let him stand there or come back out, dont pressure him. After the 2nd or 3rd time of going in then close the door. I would have the trailer hooked up to the truck and immediatly go for a drive, just around the block, then let him out.

Otherwise park the trailer in the pasture, take the doors off and feed him in there. Start with a feed pan on the floor then day by day gradually move it into the manger so he has to go in to eat.

Good luck!

Oh, and make sure the trailer is NOT going to move when he goes in and out.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
owned by alli... that is the approach we have been taken...lol maybe eventually it will work
draftgrl i think i am going to try this... that way its at his own pass and he can figure out what is needed/wanted of him :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Similar story. My horse is a perfect loader, in a stock trailer or a four horse.
When we tried in a 2 horse straight the other day, she lost her mind. After I tied her, she was rearing, kicking, falling, jumping ... she hit her head and cut herself multiple times, I was in with her, the tie would not break loose and I could not get out. She didn't hurt me, I just tried to hold her up and calm her down. She finally calmed, shaking, sweating and exhausted so I quickly and quietly got out and then she tried to lay down and choke herself on the manger ... UGH!

We finally made it for the 7 mile trip to the new farm :p
I am going to try to work with her on it. The small trailer just freaked her OUT!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
^^ my horse too! Only he planted his feet and was like nooo way. (gotta love stubborn appys!) a lunge whip held behind his butt though let him know I wasnt joking. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
476 Posts
IMO a horse should never be tied in a two horse straight load trailer. The trailer is set up to where the horse already has no where to go.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
^^ that depends though because like my horse thinks he can turn around in a two horse *rolls eyes* darn horses
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
Reason why I sold my 2 horse, every horse disliked it, I loved it. Easy to back up, but I was thinking of my horse so I bought a stock trailer. It had no tackroom. So I thought of myself again, I bought a new 3 horse slant with a swing out saddle rack, well hubby thought of me, was a mothers day prezzie.

·
Registered
418 Posts
She too thinks she can turn around, so yes the tie was required.
I'll stick with my four horse stock ... it just wasnt available and she needed to be moved, ASAP. She made is alive though!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but what would cause him to all of a sudden not like the 2 horse trailer.... he went in it fine the first day ... didn't get jumpy,anxious,nervous, nothing beofre hand or when in it or when out of it... it was just another road trip for him. and then this time he started off fine got in then decided yeap... not going and backed out...
so i just dont understand why he changed his mind... i can understand it being scary for him... but i just bought this trailer... there is no way i can afford a new trailer any time soon... so i am kinda stuck to work with him on it....

any other ideas ..besides buying a new trailer lol :/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.