The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people don't like bald faces/pink noses but these photo's are just so striking. And I found out that you can get eyeliner tattooed around your horses eyes! Good idea--yes or no? Kinda scary. :O

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I think the eyeliner is an attempt to keep them from getting eyelid cancer. Not just because someone likes the way it looks. I have no idea how effective it is though.

I did have a bald faced Paint gelding some years back but he had dark skin around his eyes. He STILL got a little bit of cancer in his third eyelid (and inside his sheath too) but he was already around 30 when I noticed it so I never got it treated and he died from unrelated causes in his early 30's.

But Paints are prone to some types of cancer and I think the eyeliner is to help with that.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I guess I should also mention I just love, love, love frame overos. And I love blue eyes. But I sort of have a dislike for pink skin around the eyes. It wouldn't keep me from buying a horse though! But if I had my preference I would have a super loud over but with colored skin around the eyes. Just a human preference on my part.

I don't know why......maybe because the markings aren't as jagged, but I don't like splash as well as frame.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I think the eyeliner is an attempt to keep them from getting eyelid cancer. Not just because someone likes the way it looks. I have no idea how effective it is though.

I did have a bald faced Paint gelding some years back but he had dark skin around his eyes. He STILL got a little bit of cancer in his third eyelid (and inside his sheath too) but he was already around 30 when I noticed it so I never got it treated and he died from unrelated causes in his early 30's.

But Paints are prone to some types of cancer and I think the eyeliner is to help with that.

That's a first for me, i've never heard of that being done before but i can see how it could help the horse.

Reactions: pasomountain

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a white cat that has pink skin. I think he's gorgeous. You can just see it on the ears. He has one blue eye and one green. I love white dogs too. Just sad for all the health problems they have to deal with. There are currently two deaf and blind white pups at my local humane society.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I LOVE this sabino:

And this frame would make me do back flips! (I would guess he also has splash or sabino because of the bald face?)

But plain splash is just sort of "meh." ( Sorry Gunner or whomever you are!)

It's the jagged markings I love. And blue eyes are cool too!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I have a white cat that has pink skin. I think he's gorgeous. You can just see it on the ears. He has one blue eye and one green. I love white dogs too. Just sad for all the health problems they have to deal with. There are currently two deaf and blind white pups at my local humane society.

We have a beautiful calico with blue eyes......I think it's due to her Siamese/seal point color. She is also polydactyl. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love bald face on a dark chocalate horse like pictures above. I wouldnt ever tattoo on the animal .. it ruins the natural beauty plus some horses already have dark coloring around the eye line .

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The eyeliner doesn't look very good imo and I can imagine how very painful that would be. But like trailhorserider said, I can see where there could be legitimate reasons, health-wise, do have that done.

I love bald faces, and I am totally biased!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,063 Posts
If you have ever had to cate for a horse with that pink skin you'd know how careful you have to he to prevent burns and there just isn't any sunscreen Iwould consider safe to apply to that area. If you did find one you would then have to have an animal good natured enough to let you apply and pray it didn't sweat or drip in the eyes and cause other problems.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have ever had to cate for a horse with that pink skin you'd know how careful you have to he to prevent burns and there just isn't any sunscreen Iwould consider safe to apply to that area. If you did find one you would then have to have an animal good natured enough to let you apply and pray it didn't sweat or drip in the eyes and cause other problems.
That's true. You would have to keep a fly mask on all the time or keep them inside during the day. I still like the way they look but I do understand the problems.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
the eyeliner is to protect the eye. just like the lines under a football players eyes it helps reduce the light reflection into the sensitive eye. it also is shown to help reduce eye cancer by reflecting the uv rays from the eye a bit. its done while the horse is under and normally only while a colt is getting gelding. cant be more painful they horrible eye cancer. persenaly i would have it done. tattoos hurt for maybe a day after then are fine.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts

I actually had a Paint with a ton of white skin and didn't do anything special for him other than a fly mask and a 3 sided shed, the same as for my other horses.

Looking back on it I'm sure his nose did burn a bit in summer because I remember it peeling once in a while, but at that stage in my horse ownership I didn't realize that was what was going on. Now I would be more aware. But still, other than the tip of his nose, nothing else burned. No special care at all. He did have dark skin around his eyes though. (I'm sure pink skin around the eyes would burn really bad).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
The reason many of those white animals with health problems exist is because people who love that color choose to create them, not caring about whether they suffer or not.

However, a lot of blind deaf white dogs exist because someone wanted a merle or harlequin colored animal and either didn't know or didn't care that breeding two merles together means that a quarter of the litter (statistically) will be homozygous for that dilution, mostly white, probably deaf, and possibly blind.

There are many special unusual colors of animals which are unusual exactly because they are unhealthy. But people choose to ignore that.

·
Super Moderator
13,063 Posts
There is a horse at the barn that SIL is at that has a bald face with pink around the eyes and an owner that seems not to particularly care. The blistering and peeling plus the scarring from repeated episodes is an open invitation to flies to aggravate and irritate an already insulted wound. The BO keeps the horse in a well shaded pasture if out during the day but mostly does turnout at night as there are more than one with similar markings on the face or large prominent white patches along the spine. Big interest in Paints in her area. Loud Paints. The blistering and peeling on the nose is bad enough but around the eyes to me it is cruel to let that happen when it can be prevented. Not knowing is one thing and many newbies make that mistake but make sure their horse is protected after the first round. Hair doesn't always make a difference as one there has ugly burns on the withers every summer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.