The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate is going to be taking our neighbors 9 year old Percheron mare this spring as they can no longer care for her. This mare is perfectly healthy except for one thing, she has no mane or tail. According to the neighbor the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her including worms, mites, ect. She literally looks like someone shaved her mane and tail off. Does anyone know what this is? The rest of the neighbors horses have perfect manes and tails. They got this made like this and it never grew back.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
My roommate is going to be taking our neighbors 9 year old Percheron mare this spring as they can no longer care for her. This mare is perfectly healthy except for one thing, she has no mane or tail. According to the neighbor the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her including worms, mites, ect. She literally looks like someone shaved her mane and tail off. Does anyone know what this is? The rest of the neighbors horses have perfect manes and tails. They got this made like this and it never grew back.
Do you have pictures? Many Percherons have their tails cut off, and if they cut through the bone, it stays pretty short. I believe it is so their tails will not get caught in the harnesses and pulling rigging. I think, too, it can take a very long time for a hogged mane to grow back, but I am not sure how long.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No pictures right now but its not like that. The mane and tail are completely bald like they were shaved. Its been like that for years now and she's on a good diet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
So they are just bare skin?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes bald with a few stubby hairs. Current owner says she's been to the vet and had blood work done and they found nothing wrong. She has also never seen her rubbing or being picked on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I would start with a skin scraping. Sounds like a toxicity issue like Se. Se does show up on a blood test but you need to be looking for it.

Pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I have a student who has a pony with no tail. Several vets worked to find a solution. This pony would actively rub, but the vets found nothing to cause it. They discovered that the pony had allergies to almost everything and this was causing the pony to be very itchy. They are doing all kinds of food and environmental changes trying to find a solution.

He is really easy to groom, as he is so itchy.

Luckily, they show dressage and jumpers, not hunters. It doesn't affect the horse's excellent work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.