Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting right to it... :)

background:
Yesterday my mare rubbed her shoulder and her knee- By the looks of both spots, and evidence I found on some branch stumps on a tree nearby, I think she was walking near the trees and got spooked or slipped, and ran into the branch stumps, causing an ~6 inch long x 1.5 inch wide stripping off of the body hair on her shoulder-lower neck area, along with one on her knee, about an inch by an inch. Neither were anymore than the hair being gone along with abraded skin. No bleeding, just the normal seepage you get with abrasions. She didn't shy from contact to have it checked and rubbed and I sprayed Vetricyn on them both and left her out in the pasture.

Onto the question....
This morning when I fed and checked her, there was definitely swelling on the knee. She did shy away from it being touched. There might be a slight amount of heat, but considering it is about 5F outside, so my hands were rather cold as I checked.
Should I give her Bute? Let her be loose so she can walk it out? I would assume stalling her would cause it to get worse, as if it is a minor injury, the bit of movement she is getting right now is good for her? She also doesn't love being stalled, so would actually end up moving around more in there, as she would be separated from her brother horse. :)
She is walking on it, no limping. I did not lunge her or anything. Just checked her while she was eating, and as I said, it is certainly swollen and she shies from it being touched by lifting her leg up and away a bit.

Thanks in advance! And sorry if there is a lot of text, I was trying to cover any possible questions of missed information. :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am surprised I didn't get any replies? :(
Hopefully that is because we are doing the right thing?
The vet said to give her bute over the weekend and see how she does, as far as swelling goes, which she had the 2nd day and today.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well here's a little story for you and what I did.

Last winter we were running through a snow covered field and came to the edge which ended with a snow mound then a side road. We slowed down so we could get out into the road without slipping but bozo didn't pick up her feet all the way and tripped. She went down and slammed me into the pavement. She bloodied up her knee. Skin wasn't punctured just road rash.

I gave her 2 grams of bute per day for 3 days with complete stall rest. Swelling was down and no limp so I let her out. Well within a few hours the swelling was back, guessing she was running. Bute for 7 more days with almost two weeks of stall rest and she was as good as new.

She does have a little scar from it but oh well.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Poppy for the reply! That does sound like a more severe injury than Sonata gave herself, with the weight of going down on it. I am surprised road rash made a scar!!
Sonata definitely has swelling, which is going away with the Bute, and like I said before, I hesitate to stall her yet, though we do have a corral we could put her in, as if she gets separated from her brother, she might pace a bit too much to start with (he would go next door in the other corral, if we did it).
Thanks for the story, glad she is doing fine now!!

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
For something like this, I actually DON'T want to give my horse bute because I want to be able to see if they come up lame a few days later.

I had something very similar happen with my horse about a month ago. Not sure exactly what happened but he got put into the big 120 acre pasture with the rest of the horses where I board and he either jumped the fence or got chased (who knows). He has some minor scrapes, but nothing deep or serious. But his knee was very swollen. But he wasn't lame and there was no heat. I'm guessing he smacked it on a fence post, based on the look of one of his cuts under his chest.

I called my vet the first day, to go over his symptoms. I cold hosed his knee every day and watched him closely.

If he would have become lame or if any heat would have appears, I would have taken him to the vet. But he never did and the swelling subsided in about a week.

I did not give him bute during any of this because I didn't want to "cover up" any lameness that may have started.

Definatley do some cold hosing on that knee.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For something like this, I actually DON'T want to give my horse bute because I want to be able to see if they come up lame a few days later.

I had something very similar happen with my horse about a month ago. Not sure exactly what happened but he got put into the big 120 acre pasture with the rest of the horses where I board and he either jumped the fence or got chased (who knows). He has some minor scrapes, but nothing deep or serious. But his knee was very swollen. But he wasn't lame and there was no heat. I'm guessing he smacked it on a fence post, based on the look of one of his cuts under his chest.

I called my vet the first day, to go over his symptoms. I cold hosed his knee every day and watched him closely.

If he would have become lame or if any heat would have appears, I would have taken him to the vet. But he never did and the swelling subsided in about a week.

I did not give him bute during any of this because I didn't want to "cover up" any lameness that may have started.

Definatley do some cold hosing on that knee.
I was thinking the same issue with Bute, but the vet said it will be a low enough dose that she will still feel her leg. She also said don't bother cold hosing, as it is near zero degrees outside, so not much of a difference. Plus I think we would all be insanely uncomfortable doing it. I was guessing about a week as well to get rid of swelling. We did just move both horses into a ~30x20 ft corral together. That way she doesn't walk around too much on it. She has yet to be truly lame, just a bit of tenderness, which I would expect with such a hard knock.
What bothers me is that she is swelling down below her knee as well, which if I remember correctly from the vet regarding a previous injury she had, could just be due to the knee swelling causing a lack of space for fluid to leave upwards in a timely fashion.
I do plan to get the trailer all ready to go in case I need to take her in after I call the vet Monday morning.
Thanks for all the comments!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.