The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the most awsome ride on my girl tonight. I need to improve my balance and seating position so the best way was bareback which I've only done a couple times on whiskey but wasn't confident enough as I had no balance. After reading some stuff on internet I thought would give it another shot and it was awsome.. we settled into a good rhythm fairly quickly and felt my confidence growing.
GOD I love my horse 😊💞💜:cowboy:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Congratulations! What a great feeling! I am working on my bareback skills as well, in order to improve my overall seat and balance. It's slow going! I am now ending every ride with a few minutes of "no stirrups" and will eventually switch to actually taking the saddle off and going full bareback. I don't know if I'll ever do any real riding bareback with this horse (Icelandic). I used to ride bareback all the time when I was younger and loved it, but given my health situation and visual impairment, it's not so safe for me anymore. But what a good feeling when you do it well! I look forward to reading about your continued success with Whiskey!

Here I am after my first successful attempt at riding with no stirrups for a few minutes--just a couple weeks ago. Last week I dropped the stirrups and actually trotted a little too. So proud.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So went for probably 3km bare back ride on whiskey today yo the beach and back.. we both did really well until we got back to paddocks then she decided she was going to go through the trees instead of staying on drive and I was so busy trying to push branches out of the way that i list my balance and landed hard on driveway...now currently sitting in ED waiting for xrays on my arm😔🥰🐎👍😂 it was such a silly slow motion fall too my daughter thought it was hilarious😂

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oh my gosh! I hope you are ok. The one real fall I had 15 years ago was one of those--a very slow motion fall--I decided to drop off instead of hanging off the side trying to pull myself back up. Even though it was a controlled fall and I decided to do it--I still broke my wrist by landing on it. That horse ride ended in an ambulance ride! I hope you fare better than I did! But congrats for having a great ride until then! Don't let this deter you.

Reactions: Katy_Kanes

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I hope nothing’s broken.

I stopped bareback riding since my mare isn’t well suited for it - and I am not a great rider. She’s a small horse, very bendy and fast and has a big trot. Last time I tried it, we parted ways when we took a corner in canter. She went left, I went straight :)

Anyhow, I am a middle-aged, untalented novice - I figured that I need all the help I can get to stay on the horse. So, saddle it is.

I used to ride a large mare with very low-key movement both in trot and canter and I stayed on easily bareback. Unfortunately, my mare is nothing like her so I decided to not tempt faith.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Animalia it wont detervme I want to go another ride today but I'll prob get told off from horse and husband lol.

My arm is in a splint for a week as the xray didn't show a clean break or fracture but there was a malformation if my scaphoid so have to treat it like its broken go to my GP next week for reassessment and another xray 😔🤪😊

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.