The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a photo the other day of a horse with the young Filipino kid who was demonstrating that the horse was indeed rideable.
@walkinthewalk made the tongue in cheek comment that some folks would be reaching for an oxygen mask over some of the safety issues evident in the photo.

The guy is wearing the typical attire of rural folks here in the Philippines. Shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops (called tsinellas here).

I had to laugh with her because I also have a photo of the kid who helps us around the ranch, learning to clean out horses feet.

It’s a different world over here, where it is normal to see a family of five all on the same motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I notice the toes are curled under in what I take as a form of self protection in the event.
Could be. I didn’t ask.

I did emphasize the need to be aware of muscle tension in the horse in order to have time to get the bare feet out of the way.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Curling the toes could grip the flip-flops to keep them on. Or, it could be the angle of the photo making it look like he's curling his toes.

I've ridden like that - shorts, t-shirt, no hat, no saddle or bridle/headcollar and completely barefoot. I'd hold on to the mane and ride with my seat. It caused a lot of arguments in my family though LOL. Especially as I used to teach at a riding school during the day, where i had to make sure everyone followed the safety rules, then come home and jump on my horse with no tack or hat.

I'm a lot older, a little wiser and more brittle :smile:.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Seems to me that wearing flip flops while riding would be a constant reminder to keep your heels down. lol

I used to ride like that a lot back in the day. Back when missing a days work or more due to an injury never even entered my mind.

I still will ride or be around horses in this attire but less often. I am also more mindful of where my body parts are in relation to the horse.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I can remember one time, and not that long ago, that I had to go and check the pond to be sure that it wasn't frozen over so I took my hatchet and started walking through the deep snow. I had turned the horses out and they were heading back there as well so I decided to get myself, with hatchet, up on my little Arab/Appy and ride down., No halter or lead or anything and as he was low man in the herd I had to keep threatening the "boss horse" with my hatchet to keep his distance. After I got the ice chopped, I climbed back on and had him take me back to the barn.

they say "We grow too soon old and too late smart" I guess this is a good example. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME11

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I won't post any pics of me then. I'm usually barefoot on/around my horses.
Go ahead Loosie! We understand. For myself, I’m usually in sandals. Except for occasional visits with relatives in temperate climates, and once or twice a year in boots at the rodeo, u haven’t worn socks and shoes for about 3 years now.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
In Nevada I used to wear Crocs to groom or play with the ponies. It was too hot to wear boots unless absolutely necessary so I didn't put boots on until I was ready to climb on. I used to take Mirage swimming at the lake all the time and when I did that I'd ride her across the desert bareback and go swimming bareback. She was the only one I'd ride barefoot though - I didn't trust any of the others enough. I don't go out to see the horses barefoot or in Crocs anymore … up in Montana now it's too darn cold!

-- Kai

Attachments

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
300 Posts
Being barefoot on horses was a staple of my childhood! I still wear sneakers occasionally if I'm just grooming and playing around. I am trying to set a better example for my stepdaughter, but I honestly think my uptightness is making things worse! I've become the anxious old lady of the barn muttering about safety.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Being barefoot on horses was a staple of my childhood! I still wear sneakers occasionally if I'm just grooming and playing around. I am trying to set a better example for my stepdaughter, but I honestly think my uptightness is making things worse! I've become the anxious old lady of the barn muttering about safety.
My nephew is out of college and working. His sister just started college. They can spell horse and that's it. I still spend all of their visits preaching "do not try this at home", :rofl::rofl:

I can't say how many tines I have unexpectedly fallen into the bee-hind of one of my horses or fell under them when I lose my balance.

I have always worn basketball tennis shoes to ride because anything else puts my feet to sleep. I have never worn a helmet on my horses but wouldn't go without one on the snowmobile or dirt bike.

I also would discourage anyone else from approaching horse life as I do. It's the old momadage of "do as I say, not as I do", lollol

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The mystery is why those flipflops don't fall off when riding.

Took the horses swimming while I was wearing a pair of crocs and even those, in 4WD didn't stay on. LOL Flip flops? How?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The mystery is why those flipflops don't fall off when riding.

Took the horses swimming while I was wearing a pair of crocs and even those, in 4WD didn't stay on. LOL Flip flops? How?
I think it boils down to a lifetime of wearing flip flops. They are the standard footwear around here, aside from big rubber galoshes for messy farm work.

It’s also common for folks to go barefoot unless the ground is really rough. When asked, they usually reply “shoes cost money. Skin grows back.”

1 - 20 of 25 Posts