The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only when it snows my two horses eat a tree that i have thats fallen. Neither crib or have any mineral/vitamin deficencys. why would they do this only when it snows? does the snow make it taste good ? haha . they sure are good at un burrying the grass too =p

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I think they just like to chew on something different sometimes. Our mares do it too, and they are not cribbers either.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but it struck me as odd bc it is only when its snowing they do it lol. that trees been there for months and just this past first snow storm they started it. lol. i let them out to do their stalls and theyll prance around, roll then eat the tree lol

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my horses are both on the best diets and as i stated they never did this untill the snow fell.. and only when the snow is falling lol

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
My old horse always ate bark when he was bored. I think they just like too. (he wasnt deprived of any minerals or anything) they do that in the wild too

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its so wierd bc its ONLY when its snowing haha.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they dig to eat the grass haha. they are too funny . they go under the trees where the least amount of snow is. But today they just ate the tree thats on the ground, and dug a bit around it.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
^ya probably your right haha i never thought of that one. but ya, in the wild thats what they do :p

·
Registered
992 Posts
Some horses on the best diets can still have a deficiency, whether it be a huge one or a minute one. Maybe the snow melting on the tree makes whatever(if) they are missing surface. Definitely do not rule any possibilities out because you are sure your horse has a complete diet. I know of a girl who put her horses on a copper supplement even though they have a great diet and within days they stopped eating the bark.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah but they dont do this every day... only when the snall is literally falling..from the sky.. when i turn them out while i do their stalls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.