The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new here, and to better get to know you all, I thought I'd take a barn break. Like most barns there's a few chairs, so I thought I'd sit and meet you all as you take a barn break.

My story should generate a little chatter. My husband owns Thoroughbreds for racing, I've been to all the big tracks and although this is an exciting life, I just love horses and would love to ride. Well last year my husband made a poor investment in a horse with great breeding, unfortunately the horse didn't like the track anymore than I did. So my husband said, "We need to get rid of the horse" which we have done before. Shortly before all this happened my daughter had just bought a horse (her first) and I was feeling very jealous, after all, this was a dream of mine since I was 10. Well, now we had this horse, BUT could I ride this "track" horse? I'm not stupid about these horses, I have seen plenty of these high strung, crazy, self inflicting injury horses, scary! I still wanted this horse, just to see if it would be okay. The track trainer assured me the horse was sound and gentle (gelded), still very cautious I found a trainer with a boarding facility near by. Now here's the problem - I'm 70, never ridden, the horse is 3, off the track and I would like to keep him. The trainer was thinking the same as you all are right now, crazy lady! Even I wasn't sure this would work, but I told my trainer, "If this isn't the horse for me, I have no love for this horse yet, and I could certainly get a different horse." Well the horse was delivered to her property in March, I have done nothing but bath, brush and walk that horse around (almost daily) for four and half months. He is turning out to be the biggest sweetheart ever. In that time I took riding lessons on her horse and Bentley and I are just getting together now. This all came together because my trainer let my horse be a horse again slowly. So, that's my story.

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
WELCOME to the Forum!!

So, the way I see it is you are a learning rider, taking lessons and under supervision while riding.
You have a young horse who is race-trained but is sensible, kind and gentle in spirit...a kind soul.
With proper guidance, lessons continued and some professional training time given to the horse...sounds to me you have a gem of a animal in the making.
Not every Thoroughbred from the track is a crazy, high-spirited lunatic...if the horse doesn't have the personality to be a runner and race, give him the chance to become someones riding companion instead.
I would not go this alone with your lack of riding experience, but paired with good instruction, training and care-giving direction sounds like you will be a good match to riding partners.
Enjoy the journey.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
You got guts, and I love that you want to give that horse a chance. For what it's worth, some TBs are incredibly mellow. I once rode a TB that actually did race (and win), but he was so done with it that he became super mellow. Your horse didn't even want to start to race, so with good after-track care I don't see why he shouldn't take good care of you. You are taking a bit of a risk because he's so young, which makes him prone to doing "young" things.

The other problem I see is that your original post does not contain any pictures.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
I wish you great success in your new riding endeavor!

I am 61 and I am always thrilled to find out that people that are older than me start exciting new things; especially riding!

My horse is 15. My husband thinks I am crazy when I say that I need to think about growing up another baby.

You hang in there! Wear a helmet. You can also buy those chest protecting vests that might help prevent chest injuries if you fall off. (Gravity seems to be increasing in intensity as I get a few years older.)

Again, good luck.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wish you great success in your new riding endeavor!

I am 61 and I am always thrilled to find out that people that are older than me start exciting new things; especially riding!

My horse is 15. My husband thinks I am crazy when I say that I need to think about growing up another baby.

You hang in there! Wear a helmet. You can also buy those chest protecting vests that might help prevent chest injuries if you fall off. (Gravity seems to be increasing in intensity as I get a few years older.)

Again, good luck.
Celeste, I am 68 and I got a wild hair and got a yearling filly a little over a year ago. I thought I was thru with horses when I buried my last one over 15 + years ago, but decided I had one more horse in me. Now I'm 4 rides into my 2+ year old filly and bought another 15 Yo gelding since. My filly got lots of ground work and had a saddle on her for 20 work outs on the ground before getting on her. So far no bucks and she even loped both ways the last ride. She is doing great. The new 70 is the old 40 so keep up the good work. You are only as old as you let yourself be. The day I quit doing the things I want is the day they take the first shovel full of dirt out of my grave. You go girl!

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
GREAT story! Good for you. And the horse.

I'm 20 years younger, but after dealing with my crazy mare for a couple of years, I went ahead and bought a really quite, solid horse. Only, he was a 6 year old without much training. But I am loving every minute with him. He has the biggest, most dog-like personality, and when I get on him, I'm a teenager again. I feel we could go anywhere, and do anything together. Sometimes, it just clicks.

But we do need pictures.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What a neat story and very inspiring for many. I wish you luck in your endeavors with Bentley.

Reactions: Celeste
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.