The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
I have two horses, one paint gelding and one pregnant miniature mare.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a rider and I work at the barn almost all day, but I need some summer snack ideas for a snack basket im making or the boarder at my barn. Do you guys have any ideas?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Beef and cheese packets, fruit cups, puddings, apple sauce cups, fresh fruits, cheese and cracker snacks, beef jerky, trail mix. It goes on and on. The single tuna and cracker packets are another good snack or lunch and the old back up of PB & J or chips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beef and cheese packets, fruit cups, puddings, apple sauce cups, fresh fruits, cheese and cracker snacks, beef jerky, trail mix. It goes on and on. The single tuna and cracker packets are another good snack or lunch and the old back up of PB & J or chips.
Ok! Thank you so much! Sooooo helpful!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Vegetarian and dairy free here, so if it was me, I would want fresh fruit, crackers (wheat, rice, nut, and oat versions), popcorn, nuts (many different types), dried fruit, coconut chips, seaweed (the snack type), dried peas (the pod type ones), and museli/granola bars.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
When I am out on the trail I pack hard apples, jerky, and Kind Bars. If I was at a barn I'd add some good cheese and healthy crackers. I am morally opposed to over-packaging and over-processsing so I don't go for the pre-packed stuff.

·
Registered
Volunteer with four Clydesdales - Lakota, Sakari, Oneida, and Hawkeye.
4 Posts
I love granola bars or something like that: I can eat it quickly, easily, and without having to directly touch it with usually dirty hands, lol. Definitely good protein add-ins too, I love seeing jerky suggested. I think nuts would be good too if allergies aren't a concern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I am out on the trail I pack hard apples, jerky, and Kind Bars. If I was at a barn I'd add some good cheese and healthy crackers. I am morally opposed to over-packaging and over-processsing so I don't go for the pre-packed stuff.
yeah absolutely I get that, I don't want to go to the barn to work and then gain weight in the process, haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love granola bars or something like that: I can eat it quickly, easily, and without having to directly touch it with usually dirty hands, lol. Definitely good protein add-ins too, I love seeing jerky suggested. I think nuts would be good too if allergies aren't a concern.
Great thank you so much! This is super helpful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too much sugar, but I'll have a quarter Cliff bar with water, Kind also. You can't miss with [unsmushed] bananas, cherries, and whatever's in season, too. My super basic go-to in walnuts or almonds with a chunk of dark chocolate (dark doesn't melt in heat so quickly. I get very hangry if I miss a snack, even just a small handful every 2-3 hours!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Nuts! They keep well and are very filling.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Homemixed trail mix of nuts and dark chocolate covered dried fruit like cherries and a mix of plain coconut, banana chips, mango - whatever is on hand. I usually have some kind of roasted salted nut in the mix to contrast the sweet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Granola (either as a mix or in a bar), fruits that are easy to eat on the go like apples and bananas, dehydrated fruit is good too because it'll keep longer, cheese and crackers if you have something to keep the cheese cool, maybe something like pretzels. Stuff that's easy to eat on the go and that isn't too unhealthy. My favorite is granola mix because you can get a lot of good stuff at once and eat a little bit at a time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts