The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 6 year old QH/Paint mare that I want trained for barrels. She is a good rider once you make her understand you are the boss, but she has no "Go" in her, although she is very fast she just doesn't want to run. I don't know what to do, I have tried walking her around barrels but that's all I know how to do she refuses to even trot around the barrels. Please Help any advice and or tips is greatly appreciated. Also if you know of any barrel trainers neat Houston,Tx please do tell.

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello, I have a 6 year old QH/Paint mare that I want trained for barrels. She is a good rider once you make her understand you are the boss, but she has no "Go" in her, although she is very fast she just doesn't want to run. I don't know what to do, I have tried walking her around barrels but that's all I know how to do she refuses to even trot around the barrels. Please Help any advice and or tips is greatly appreciated. Also if you know of any barrel trainers neat Houston,Tx please do tell.

Thanks
I knew nothing about barrel racing, sorry.

Maybe you could try posting in the western/barrel part of the forum?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
749 Posts
How are you asking her to trot?

Ok, how is she off the pattern then? Is she light off your leg moving forwards? Can you move her hindquarters, ribs and shoulders independently? Does she move off your seat? Is she soft mouthed, does she have good lateral flexion, vertical flexion, a good back up, stop etc? Are her leads solid? Those are a few basic things that should be solid before attempting to pattern her. If you have any holes there, they'll be very visable once you start something else with her.

Edit: Is this the same mare that doesn't tie? If so, that can speak volumes to a few holes in her training right there. It could also mean at some point when she's pulled back that she injured herself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I said she does not do anything meaning she is not very responsive to leg ques and she is not soft mouthed and yes it is the same mare.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Would you be able to take lessons in order to further your mare and your own education? You sound rather inexperienced yourself, which is fine, everyone starts that way but it will be much easier for both you and your horse if you are able to get lessons and ideally also get your mare in training. It can be very difficult to try and teach yourself something as well as your horse at the same time.

If you were north of Houston i'd easily be able to come help out. I'm around Humble.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have looked and the prices are just too high I'm 16 and can't exactly afford $500 a month to train my horse nor do I have the time but my mare is my only opportunity to get a scholarship.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not inexperienced I trained my first horse an ottb at the age of 12 he was my first ever horse, I have been riding for 13 years I am sorry if I appear inexperienced to you but I can assure you I can out ride most everyone. Just because I have hit a wall with training my mare does not mean I'm inexperienced. Just because I asked for advice does not mean I'm inexperienced. Thank you

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
She is not green she used to be a jumper and a ranch horse and I am in south Houston.

If she was trained as a jumper and was a ranch horse she should be better trained then what she is. Doesnt sound like she even has basic training. Needs to started like she was an unbroke horse. Youv got other issues with the not tieing that need to be worked out.

Shes far from ready to train for barrel racing not all horses are cut out to barrel race either.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's understandable, training can be expensive. Would your parents be able to afford ( or you if you have a part time job) even a couple of lessons a month? I could write a novel on how to help you out but it just isn't the same as hands on instruction. It would give you are starting point on how to improve and you would be able to work on those things between lessons. Another thing that some barns will allow is for students to work off their lessons, bear in mind you'll often end up work for less than minimum wage when you look at it but it can be a good way to gain additional experience.

Lots of members also post videos for critique here as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have my own barn. And no my parents won't help out and I don't have time to get a job. Also I don't need lessons my made just needs to be trained.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If she was trained as a jumper and was a ranch horse she should be better trained then what she is. Doesnt sound like she even has basic training. Needs to started like she was an unbroke horse. Youv got other issues with the not tieing that need to be worked out.

Shes far from ready to train for barrel racing not all horses are cut out to barrel race either.

Her previous owners were scared of her so the let her do whatever she wanted and she was bred to barrel race.

·
Registered
256 Posts
sounds like she needs some ground work, its easier to get from the saddle once you've gotten it from the ground. Can you lunge her at a walk trot canter? how flexible is she? is she stiff? when you ask things of her does she pin her ears and act mad? Or like she hurts?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Your mare can be perfectly trained but if you don't know how t properly ask your ques she won't ride like she's trained to. You both need lessons. I've been riding since I was two am now 18 (19 on a month) and I still have a trainer or did I don't have a horse right now. There is nothing wrong on getting a trainer, but with that I'm perfect and she's just a snot attitude you will get nowhere I promise.

Take her back to basics find her holes and work with her on those. I highly doubt she was what you say she was she either was never that or you kust don't know what you are asking for .

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So. You *don't know how* to train your mare to go faster, but you're convinced you *don't* need any more lessons or training yourself? Sounds like a contradiction to me.

From the threads you have posted it sounds like your mare needs to start over - not being able to tie is a HUGE hole in basic training, and if she's supposedly a trained jumper she should have no problems going faster and tying, etc. Sounds like you need a trainer to work with you and start back on the ground, because with her training you won't get a good barrel horse, you'll get an injury trying to train her to run barrels when sh's not even close to solid on the ground. You should be able to do ANYTHING you want with her on the ground before starting her on barrels - this includes getting her to W/T/C on cue and tie.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.