The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Boo Walker 
How are you asking her to trot?

Ok, how is she off the pattern then? Is she light off your leg moving forwards? Can you move her hindquarters, ribs and shoulders independently? Does she move off your seat? Is she soft mouthed, does she have good lateral flexion, vertical flexion, a good back up, stop etc? Are her leads solid? Those are a few basic things that should be solid before attempting to pattern her. If you have any holes there, they'll be very visable once you start something else with her.

Edit: Is this the same mare that doesn't tie? If so, that can speak volumes to a few holes in her training right there. It could also mean at some point when she's pulled back that she injured herself.

Would you be able to take lessons in order to further your mare and your own education? You sound rather inexperienced yourself, which is fine, everyone starts that way but it will be much easier for both you and your horse if you are able to get lessons and ideally also get your mare in training. It can be very difficult to try and teach yourself something as well as your horse at the same time.

If you were north of Houston i'd easily be able to come help out. I'm around Humble.

That's understandable, training can be expensive. Would your parents be able to afford ( or you if you have a part time job) even a couple of lessons a month? I could write a novel on how to help you out but it just isn't the same as hands on instruction. It would give you are starting point on how to improve and you would be able to work on those things between lessons. Another thing that some barns will allow is for students to work off their lessons, bear in mind you'll often end up work for less than minimum wage when you look at it but it can be a good way to gain additional experience.

Lots of members also post videos for critique here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.