The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm already sure I'm going to go take a look at this guy as soon as the owners give me a convenient time to check him out, but until then I just wanted some help from anyone who may be more educated than I am to critique him. Overall I think he's built nicely for a 3 year old. I think his shoulders are a bit shallow in the first photo but the slope on them seems fine in the second. And how is his neck length? Compared to the two horses I have now his neck is a bit short and I have heard a lot of barrel racers say they look for a horse with a longer neck. Any criticism is welcome. Thanks in advance:)

He is also on equinenow.com but there is only one photo of him on that site
Match Race/Barrel Prospect 3 yr Qtr Gelding Incentive Fund and KBIF

This is also a video of him. He seems to have a cross-firing problem, is that something I should be concerned about? My mare used to do this and correcting it was no problem (ended up needing a chiro) but the fact that neither one of the people working him noticed he was off makes me wonder how reliable they are as trainers...

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
What is his sire and dam, and breeding?

They say he is "broke to ride" but I would be willing to guess that means green broke.

I am not fond of the video they posted. Granted, I can understand lunging in circles to show the horse's movement, but that horse is paying ZERO attention to the handler in the middle. Zero. That says a lot right there.

I'd be very skeptical about the type of training this horse has received, if the handler in the round pen was involved in his training. I don't like that he doesn't pay attention to the handler at all, and just continues to goof off (and she lets him do it). Of course, that is something that CAN be trained and fixed .... just not sure if it's worth $4,000 for potential poor training.

Conformation-wise, I don't see any glaring issues but the two photos are not very good conformation photos. Yes, he's got a short neck but I wouldn't necessarily call it a red flag. Might be a little cow hocked in back but the picture may be deceiving with all the shadows and footing.

I also wouldn't probably consider his temperment a "3" for all the goofing off bucking he was doing in the round pen. I wouldn't be too concerned about the cross-firing because he seems to goof off before hand and that's what makes him cross fire. The handler clearly isn't showing him how he should be using his body.

It wouldn't hurt to look at him and see how he rides, but I have a hunch that he's not worth $4,000. But who knows.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have to agree with Beau. As far as training or just being started, that video speaks volumes. He's a nice horse, but there is no way I would set foot in a stirrup with him until we got the ground under control just a little better. The lady in the video looks like she's holding a dog on a leash and he's just about ready to wrap her up. One should not have to "keep up" with a horse on the ground, and honestly, she didn't even ask him to lope in the first place. He took off. So yea, he's very green, there's no respect at all, and as far as barrels go, that's quite a ways off considering how much ground work needs to be done. Any horse can run in circles. Of course he's only 3. So the potential is there, don't get me wrong. But like Beau said, I personally wouldn't pay $4000 for him right now. Be sure to ask them to ride him first when you do look at him. Maybe he was just feeling his oats and he knew he could get away with it with this handler. I would love to hear an update on how your visit went. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.