The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is barrel racein just for QH's???? I wanna get into it but I gotta STB and I was gonna train him to barrel race. good idea??? or wat???

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Although the QH or Paint are the typical breeds used in the higher levels of the sport, there is no reason why you can't use any breed to compete on a local or regional level. There are always exceptions but as long as your horse is built for the sport, has speed and heart, then have fun.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Agreed. Although Quarter Horses are built specifically for bursts of speed, any breed can do well at the local levels in barrel racing; that is, of course, if they are in good health and are sound. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. he's 16 hands. Im gonna work on buildin some muscle on him.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It is for any breed of horse, it's just that Quarter Horses are usually the top pick for it. They usually have the best build for it.

It really depends on your horses build more so than breed. My mare is a Standardbred/Quarter Horse and she does well in gaming, but she is built more like a Quarter Horse.

Ideally you would like a shorter, stockier horse to barrel race, around 14-15.3hh but there is always an exception to the rule. If you are just looking to do local shows then I wouldn't worry much about it.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
my old horse was a 16hand thoroughbred gelding and for being 19 an ex racer/ex jumper he did wonderful at barrelracing great turns he really dug deap but as the others posters said it depends on your horse really . my horse was stockyish and has quite alot of muscling

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ideally you would like a shorter, stockier horse to barrel race, around 14-15.3hh but there is always an exception to the rule. If you are just looking to do local shows then I wouldn't worry much about it.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. I like a horse that is around 16hh because they have longer stride, and though they can't get around the turns as quick, they make up for it with their long ole legs.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Gonna have to disagree with you there. I like a horse that is around 16hh because they have longer stride, and though they can't get around the turns as quick, they make up for it with their long ole legs.
Like I said, there is always an exception to the rule! :D I have certainly seen a few great taller barrel horses before, though

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
As far as the stride goes, any horse can have a long stride. I've seen little ponies haul *** around a barrel course and beat my barrel bred QH's before. And then I've seen big ol' TB's have tiny strides and are like "Um, I have to extend?"

Hehe ^^

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Any horse can do it and the training is just as important as the horse's build and speed. A horse that is a little slower but is smooth and tight through the turns will usually beat a faster horse that goes wide and braces around the barrels. Just stay focused on keeping him balanced, collected, and calm and you will get along great. Have fun.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No one would have ever guessed my mare was an ex barrel racer/pole bender. Granted, she's a QH with Impressive bloodlines so she's quite stocky, but she's pretty tall too, 17.2hh. I've never seen her race, but as I ride her around the pattern every once in a blue moon, I can tell she's won a lot! Her turns are nice and tight, and she hauls *** as soon as she leaves the barrel. She's got a great burst of speed, and I mean great. When she takes off it's like, "Holly crap!" I've rode a lot of fast horses but my mare is, byfar the fastest horse I've been on yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.