The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know and barrel Racing Exercises that will help me and my horse with barrels without running the patern? Cuz with my horse if you run it to much she will start to get sour. SO just wondering if anyone new any...

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
turning ant beds in the pasture.

If your horse knows her job there is no need to even practice at home.
Trail riding and keeping her in shape will be fine.
Maybe some bend and flax work too.
If you want to still keep her fresh on turning then set up random patterns with cones, poles, and barrels (all together)--> never doing the same thing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turning ant beds in the pasture.

If your horse knows her job there is no need to even practice at home.
Trail riding and keeping her in shape will be fine.
Maybe some bend and flax work too.
If you want to still keep her fresh on turning then set up random patterns with cones, poles, and barrels (all together)--> never doing the same thing.
Thanks, she is just learning barrels so she still needs some work :)
I will set up some cones next time I ride :) Thanks!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I have learned over time its not the pattern your horse needs to learn, its how to turn properly. I no longer train my barrel horses on the pattern, I just teach them how to correctly respond to my cues and how and where to place their bodies. I only run the patterns at shows or away from home. I will go practice at some local arenas just to season them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have learned over time its not the pattern your horse needs to learn, its how to turn properly. I no longer train my barrel horses on the pattern, I just teach them how to correctly respond to my cues and how and where to place their bodies. I only run the patterns at shows or away from home. I will go practice at some local arenas just to season them.
That makes alot of sence thanks!!!:D

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
There is no end of what you can do with a few barrels, poles, and cones..heck even things like tires, ropes, any weird object you can move around and create a new "game" with..you could do a ton of the competitive trail riding challenge obstacles..dragging logs, walking on tarps, going over bridges, doing the opening and closing gate tricks..You can put five or six barrels in a circle and start going to the right or left and go around each barrel working on your turns, change it up and trot to an opposite side of the circle and fake him out, don't turn it, keep going by it and go to another barrel...just new ideas and things to keep him on his toes and his mind working..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem with Sonny. You can always try doing some stop and go exercise it helps keep alart and alway thinking, Alway change up the pattern. I add thing like cones and poles. So your horse is always thinking and doing something different.

Hope this helps :-o

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can use your imagination to practice the straights and turns you need for barrel racing but there are certainly lots of drills and exercises out there. In fact, there is a site that has a pile of them (Barrel Racing Drills for Barrel Racing Success)

One of my favorites is circle tires where you put 5 o 6 tires (I use bicycle tires) in a circle about 50 -60 ft across. You circle the big circle until your horse is attentive and soft then you would position yourself to circle one of the tires. You want to do a perfect circle around it (this practices maneuverability and control, softness and bend). You can turn every second or third one to start with, however many you need to skip to approach the next one good. You can start at a trot, but eventually you want to be able to lope and lope a perfect circle around each one. This is good for young and old horses. It builds the muscles your horse needs to turn and puts the moves in them too.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I do a lot of long trotting and flex work.
I will take my horses to other near by arenas to actually ask for their all but I will practice them at home from time to time.
Having a covered arena with a time clock set up is too good to go to waste.
Mostly I ride in the outdoor and set up the random patterns like others have mentioned.
Like sierrams123 said its not the pattern your horse needs to learn is how to turn/rate themselves properly or responds to the cues you give them.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Does anyone know and barrel Racing Exercises that will help me and my horse with barrels without running the patern? Cuz with my horse if you run it to much she will start to get sour. SO just wondering if anyone new any...

I'm not quite understanding....just how long have you been training her on the pattern?

·
Registered
157 Posts
always keep changing up your exercises with your horse. I rarely work my mare on the pattern outside of a race or rodeo. One exercise I used to do with the kids I gave lessons to was set three barrels up in a straight row as far apart as you are comfortable with and start by weaving them and asking your horse to pick up their shoulder with both leg pressure and hand cues. Then move on to asking them to circle all the barrels one way and then the next, making sure that their body position is correct and they are working off their hind end to make the turns, crossing over in the front, etc. A good way to work on correct body position for the horse and for yourself with your body position, hands and feet at a slow pace.

Other than that, take your horse out on rides away from the arena and barrels. Let your horse be a horse and not have to circle barrels or poles all the time. That's on the most important things to do with a barrel horse so they don't go sour.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well i have just been trotting her since late june early july, than started loping late aug. early sept.
So she gets it we r just working on technic and improving speed.
work on the technique first.... don't worry about speed at all until your turns are perfect. Adding the speed is the last thing to worry about, if you add it too soon without the correct training you can set yourself up for much more work than is needed. :D

Reactions: DrumRunner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.