The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 13" barrel saddle from a friend for $100 so my mom can start riding with me. I would love to figure out what brand it is. It is nowhere near the quality that my Tex Tan is but I can tell at one time it must have been nice. My friend bought it used at a local tack shop 4 years ago. It has been ridden in hard and not cleaned or oiled so it was really dry but am working on getting it all dolled up. All the saddle has for any mark is the "M" with a circle around it on the latigo keeper however I don't believe it is really a Circle M. Also it has 4 numbers stamped below it. It seems like an American quality saddle. Can anyone please help me identify this? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I can't help with the saddle. It looks nice. 13" Wow, your Mom is really tiny. That's pretty much a youth saddle.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I agree, that sounds really too small for an adult. My 11 year old , stick thin ( wears a size kids 12 slim, rides in a 13 inch. I can fit in it long enough to do a light schooling, but never for more then a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems bigger than a 13" but thats what it tapes out as. However I would like to know what brand it is. Size is irrelevant to the matter

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
The saddle is a Circle M, made by Valley Head Saddlery. It is of modest quality. I see what appears to be stitching on the skirt in front of the fender. My concern would be the strength as the saddle appears to have in-skirt rigging.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The saddle is a Circle M, made by Valley Head Saddlery. It is of modest quality. I see what appears to be stitching on the skirt in front of the fender. My concern would be the strength as the saddle appears to have in-skirt rigging.
any idea on age/value?

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
any idea on age/value?
I would call Valley Head Saddlery and give them the model number. They might be able to give you some information.

Valley Head Saddlery-Manufacturers of Circle M and Pro Series Western Saddles

Is there a serial number listed anywhere on the saddle? Sometimes it's under the stirrup leathers, or under the seat jockey.

I agree, that sounds really too small for an adult.
And you've met her mother and know what size she is and what saddle she prefers to ride in?

If the OP's mother is comfortable and happy with the saddle, leave it be!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I picked this saddle is because my mom is a very timid rider and is a beginner. I thought she would feel safer in a tighter fit saddle with a deep seat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.