Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
I have a solid paint named Hope, and those at my barn, a couple friend, my family, and I cannot decide what color to consider her. Her color ischanging throughout the winter and Summer, bright in the summer and quite dark in the winter. I would love y'alls input on what color you think she is?

Hope in the winter/ Fall-ish time (this was her just 2 days ago before the ice storm hit)

Hope in the Spring/Summer time

We just call her the chameleon of the barn :)

I would appreciate any input and I apologize for the not-so-great pics!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I only see the first picture, but there's no way that I would consider this horse a buckskin. I would guess bay, but I'm not too familiar with the brown vs bay issue. I think that I remember folks on here saying that brown horses often change colors during various seasons.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Absolutely no cream there, so no buckskin. She's either bay or brown, but I can only see the first picture so I can't really say which. I'm leaning towards bay.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Agreed definitely no cream there so no buckskin. Bay's can get pretty bright and golden.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would say bay. She has all of the bay colors black points. My neighbors bay arab changes alot through the year too, from dark dark bay in the winter to a very light bay in the summer. Beautiful horse!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Also, do her turnout patterns change during the year? If she's out during the day during the summer, then that would explain why she's so light then. Sun bleaching can make horses look drastically different between seasons!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I can only see one picture, so I don't want to lock in any definite guess. However, basing it on that picture and the description given by the OP, I am leaning toward brown. Bay generally does not change as much from season to season, while brown frequently does.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
A "brown" has black points too it's a different agouti gene confusingly named brown.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: NdAppy

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yes that is true but a buckskin has an additional modifier of the cream gene to dilute the base. Agouti either the bay or brown version modifies a black base and restricts black to the points then cream is added to dilute the coat which makes a buckskin or with brown agouti smokey brown.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Yes that is true but a buckskin has an additional modifier of the cream gene to dilute the base. Agouti either the bay or brown version modifies a black base and restricts black to the points then cream is added to dilute the coat which makes a buckskin or with brown agouti smokey brown.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know, lol. Just sayin' that it doesn't affect the initial buckskin vs bay question in the slightest :p

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.