The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like what I read about shredded beet pulp.. helps pervent colic due to impaction and from sand too.. helps to add water, though Im not sure that is very true because how much water really gets added with a scoop of beet pulp.. My question.. my horse is 10 and 15.3hands.. not sure of weight. How much can I give? I;ve been using a 3 qt scoop and giving a full scoop... sometimes its more watery than other times.. I know 2qt scoops are also available.. I usually give in late aft or evening after riding. etc.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Premium Beet Pulp Shreds

directions are there.

Doesn't matter which brand it is, the directions are the same.

How much really depends on what the horse is doing for work, what he gets for hay and grain and his own metabolism.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
A pound a day is recommended.
I have heard 2 pounds a day but I would do 2feedings. You could measure the water so you know how much for how runny you like it., drain the excess or just let them drink it. Warm water will help it to soak quicker and you should soak at least 30min

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
It's kinda like making oatmeal for yourself. Some folks like it a little stiff, some like it loose.

My husband mixes beetpulp on the runny side. I mix it a little stiffer.

I only feed it now when it's really cold and miserable out. With all that water in it the lug from house to barn is heavy. Good mixed grass hay is too cheap here to worry about beet pulp much. If I were to take in another skinny horse I would certainly feed it more.

At least with the brands I have available the pellets seem to soak up more water than the shreds. It will poof up about the same as making some minute rice for yourself.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
A pound of beet pulp is actually quite a lot. Unless the horse is quite thin, or has a problem eating hay, there is absolutely no need for more. BALANCE the diet, and only feed what the horse NEEDS. You will have smaller feed bills............AND smaller vet bills, in the long run.

PS: and good grass hay is JUST as efficient in clearing sand as beet pulp. Maybe more so. It's a better fiber source, and fiber is what moves the sand along. Sand Clear is concentrated fiber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.