The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of putting my ottb gelding in beet pulp along with his regular grain as he is looking weight. We are having a very harsh cold winter here and there is no end in sight. Anyways, is beet pulp good gor weight gain? I have heard mixed things about it. And how much would you feed for a 1100 pound horse? Thanks! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
35,658 Posts
Beet pulp is great for weight gain and gives extra fluid intake at this time of year - also feeds with a high oil content will help
If your horse is already getting as much good hay as he can eat then it could be that he simply can't cope with the cold and is having to burn more calories than he's taking in just for that so not enough to spare for general maintenance
If you can stable him at night it might help and so will putting a good quality blanket on him so he's not having to use those calories to keep warm

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has access to a good quality hay 24/7 and is brought in at night. He is also blanketed. I actually have 2 on him right now lol. He just isn't fond of this cold weather unfourtently. My Qh is doing just fine though. Must be a tb thing :/
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
35,658 Posts
I think it's more of a 'some horses' thing!!!
If you've had his teeth checked and he's utd on worming (including encysted and tapeworm) then give the beet pulp a try. I've had good results with it in the past

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I love beet pulp. Not only is it healthy with low sugar and lots of digestible fiber, but it also serves as a great carrier for other supplements. I'd work up to a couple pounds of beet pulp (measured dry, before soaking) and then if you aren't seeing a difference you can add some oil to it as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried half a pound (when soaked) today and he wouldn't eat it. Tried mixing it with grain and still wouldn't eat it. Tried mixing applesauce too and still wouldn't eat it! Is there and substitutes for beet pulp or a way to make your horse like it lol. I was thinking of trying corn oil next but I've heard success with that when it was fed with beet pulp.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
It isn't at all unusual for a horse to stick his nose up at it at first.
All but one of mine did. Leave it there. He will eventually get bored or curious or whatever they are actually thinking and eat it. I think most of my skeptics took about a week. They all love it now when I serve a warm breakfast.

Too cold for it to spoil.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Agree on beetpulp being a good source of a fiber that is very digestable, and also has an energy value between that of grain and forage, thus is great for helping with weight gain, without any of the risk in feeding hot calories, since it is digested as a fiber
It does take horses some time to acquire a taste for it
Horses are no different than us, in the fact that if they eat more calories then is needed for daily activities, then they gain weight. If they eat less than required for daily activities, including exercise and their metabolic needs, they loose weight
The first place to start, when trying to put weight on a horse, is to look at the hay you are feeding. A more nutritional dense hay, like alfalfa, is a good place to start.
You say you are feeding grain-so is that actual grain (like oats ), or some prepackaged feed that might even have no grain?
Add cool calories in the form of fats . Flax and canola oil both have the correct omega 3 to 6 ratio

·
Administrator
35,658 Posts
Try mixing it with some carrots or a really small amount mixed with what he currently or has been getting
I've bought a few 'fussy eaters' over the years - the pinto I have now was awful when I got her - but after a few months with us they're like all the others we own - eat whatever horse feed you stick in the manger!!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I tried half a pound (when soaked) today and he wouldn't eat it. Tried mixing it with grain and still wouldn't eat it. Tried mixing applesauce too and still wouldn't eat it! Is there and substitutes for beet pulp or a way to make your horse like it lol. I was thinking of trying corn oil next but I've heard success with that when it was fed with beet pulp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some horses have no problem with it and some need to get used to it. You might have to start with a very small amount (1/2 cup soaked) and gradually work in more. I think it might be that too much makes the grain smell different that he doesn't want to eat it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I mixed in half a cup beet pulp soaked mixed with applesauce and he ate it! Took him a while but he got curious about it eventually
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts