The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you might have read in the general discussion section of the forum, I will be looking driving sometime in the fairly near future. Coming from a riding background I have never driven or even participated in driving other than having driven a horse twice years ago.

Where 1 might find information on driving? where could I search for some information?

I think the web will probably be my best resource but I would love to hear your expert advice and suggestions.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
First you need a cart but make sure that you don't put it before the horse!

·
Registered
214 Posts
let me just tell you it was an amazing experience the first time i learned and i just learned this summer. I learned really not to long before my first show and i went in and took 4th out of 8 youths!!!! And i've been hooked ever since. It may seem scary and it may seem hard but if you know your horse and talk to them then you'll get far. We show haflingers and i'll be showing drafts this year so i think it depends what kind of horse you'd be showing but for us its all about talking to them and they respond to kisses. Make sure to keep your elbows/arms in!!! I wish you luck because truely driving is an amazing experience!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First you need a cart but make sure that you don't put it before the horse!
Ah! but how would I know what order to put it in without learning about driving first? :wink:

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I would get soem beginning driving books. Go to some driving horse shows. Breed show are way different than ADS show. Take some lessons.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the advice so far guys. I have found some books online. I'm going to take some time off still but definitely going to still look around for some info for when the right time comes.

Appreciate all the info! :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Though i would say the best thing would be to get someone who has driven for a while before who can teach you. I would certainly look stuff up and read up on it BUT i think learning first hand also helps : D

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Though i would say the best thing would be to get someone who has driven for a while before who can teach you. I would certainly look stuff up and read up on it BUT i think learning first hand also helps : D
To be honest ideally, I would to be able to learn from someone directly and be taugh and shown. Books are great but like riding, it's something you have to do to really understand. Unfortunately for me, driving isn't something that is big around here(we live near Spruce Meadows where everyone does hunter/jumpers).

I just realized I might be able to find something if I can look up what the closest driving association is.

·
Registered
634 Posts
To be honest ideally, I would to be able to learn from someone directly and be taugh and shown. Books are great but like riding, it's something you have to do to really understand. Unfortunately for me, driving isn't something that is big around here(we live near Spruce Meadows where everyone does hunter/jumpers).

I just realized I might be able to find something if I can look up what the closest driving association is.
i agree reading is fine if you already understand and you want to expand on what you know ,but as a beginner they could put you off ,i once read a horse book and it made me wonder how ever i had afforded to keep horses for years,if i had been a beginner with that book ,it would have made me think you had to be a millionaire to own one

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
start with the mini!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
start with the mini!
hahahaha, no not with the mini :lol:

Honestly at the moment it's only something I would really like to learn about, get exposed to maybe try out if the chance represents itself. It's not something I would pursue in the near future, but definitely a must try at some point. As you had posted before tho, in hand showing could be something that I also need to wrap my head around.

I realize how ignorant I have been until now. I had never put much effort into learning more about other disciplines than Hunter/Jumpers. Pretty pathetic on my end. But for now, here I am-opening my mind up to the world.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
she has a mini and a QH.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I think that your best bet would be to find a driving association near you and just spend some time with the people that are members. Learning how to harness and unharness the horses. Learning the ins and outs of driving single and teams. Learning how to handle them and the cues used. Driving is a lot of fun, though I haven't done it consistently in several years (mostly mule teams when I was growing up). I hope you are able to find somewhere to get involved. It can open up whole new possibilities for horsemanship that go down completely different paths than riding.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again for all the advice everyone. Will searching through the links posted :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think if you can find a driving show to go to, talk to the drivers! Drivers, in my experience, are the friendliest people in the horse world. They would likely LOVE to help you out. (the more drivers, the better!) And someone would probably know someone who could teach you/give lessons.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts