The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering do you think it is wise for a beginner rider to learn straight off with flextion one rein riding?
I have been reading a lot into natural horsemanship and think it makes so much sense.
My friend who is teaching me the basics though, is old school and is teaching me to use the reins with both hands.
pulling hard and downward if I need to stop urgently, say if the horse spooks or something, whereas I like the idea of turning the head of the horse to stop.
Has anyone else out there taught themselves to ride from videos, book etc in natural horsemanship?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Are you talking about a one rein stop? I always thought that was more of an emergency stop say if your horse takes off or starts bucking.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
Ideally I start a novice rider out with no reins!
Adults on the lunge, small children on the lead rein. I will let them hold the reins but with no contact and encourage them to find a true balance with the horse.
Whilst learning their balance I will often have them hold the reins in one hand and insert two fingers under the front of the saddle and 'pull' themselves down into the saddle to get them sitting deeper especially at the trot.
Only when a new rider has learned balance and to sit deep will I start to encourage the correct position, though this does not mean that radical faults are not corrected as they learn.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's called neck reining? Or western neck reining its different than riding English.

·
Premium Member
13,268 Posts
Neck reining is a fine way to start riding. It is easy on the horse, and easy on the rider. Riding with contact is needed for some sports or styles, but I agree with VS Littauer - riding with contact is for an intermediate rider and above with a reason for it.

Learning on a lunge line would also work fine.

Learning by reading is harder than learning by lessons.

This is what I mean by neck reining:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
People start out learning by neck reining often where I'm at. I started out using one rein because it kept me from pulling on the horses mouth, when I got better at keeping my hands still I learned with two hands. I would learn both ways and find out which way works best for you. I've seen some people who learn with two hands first because that kept them out of the horses mouth.

Even in neck reining you can still turn the head to stop the horse. Around here it's called plow reining (or from my grasp: a one rein stop from a neck reining position). You'll just reach up and grab the rein to stop the horse. Or if the horse is well trained it won't be that hard to stop even with neck reining, you just pull back.

Learning from books and such is good but in my opinion nothing can replace a good instructor who can point out your faults as you ride and teach you the tricks of the trade.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
One rein for control is different to neck reining. I do think it is a valuable 'control drill' for both the rider & the horse to get really good at one rein stops. It 'reprograms' you from just clutching at & hanging off the reins when anything goes wrong too. As Foxhunter explains, depending on what level of 'beginner' you are, it's good to learn to balance first though.

Neck reining is also fine for a beginner to learn, but I'd want the horse to understand it well first. Using your hands separately on the reins is important though & I'd tend to want someone good at that before neckreining.

Are you talking about a one rein stop? I always thought that was more of an emergency stop say if your horse takes off or starts bucking.
While it's an effective 'emergency brake' it is only safely & relatively reliably so if it's well trained, not just forced, so getting it 'down pat' is a good move before any emergency is likely to arise.:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.