The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am just writing this seeking a little bit of advice. I am new to ownership, having owned my horse for only a couple of months, and only leased before that. The past couple of days he has shown mild lameness in his front right leg. He will walk normally and trot fine on the lunge line, but with me sitting on him he struggles to trot, and refuses to turn to the right if the turn is at all awkward or sharp. Instead he pulls at the bit, which he never does, and eventually crosses his left leg over.

I’ve stopped riding him each time but I have no clue what exactly is wrong with him as he walks and even trots alongside me just fine. To provide context, I just got back from a two week trip. On the same day I got back he was visited by the farrier who redid all four of his shoes. That night I rode him for the first time but got off shortly after as it grew dark and he ended up badly spooking at a cat.

Since then I have attempted light work a couple of times, which is when I started to notice issues. Once before I noticed something was wrong, I did a walk trot canter warm up but grew concerned and frustrated when he refused to turn right.

At the time I had no idea he was in pain. The next day I did a light walk trot but soon noticed his head bobbing as we grew faster. However, he was fine on the lunge line so I figured he was perhaps a little sore and gave him the next day off completely.

Flash forward to today, I was prepared to see him limping. Surprisingly he trots beautifully but soon starts to bob his head and will not pick up his right lead when I tentatively ask for a canter. I immediately get off not bothering to try lunging him because at this point I feel guilty for having attempted a canter at all. He seems happy enough and I cannot spot an obvious abscess or any swelling. I am confused and worried.

My gut feeling is that the farrier either messed up his shoe in a subtle way, or he strained a muscle when he reared away from the cat the first night I was back. Any theories ?

I am giving him the rest of the week completely off and will try to give him a cold rinse and epsom salt soak. If he is not better Tuesday ( I am gone this weekend) I will call a vet.

My barn manager agrees this is reasonable as he is walking and light trotting in his pasture just fine. Her daughter will look at it tomorrow for me to see if anything is noticeably wrong. I am just so worried. I am a young first time owner getting ready for college and my parents know nothing about horses. My new barn does not do lessons as it is temporary until I move him with me to college, therefore being so new and without a instructor I feel alone and terrified I won’t do what’s best for my horse. Please offer any advice you can.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
Welcome to The Horse Forum.

First off, I edited your post placing paragraphs into it. Blocks of text are difficult to read with old eyes like mine!

I would say that maybe he has a nail that is giving him trouble, I would call the farrier out to test and correct if necessary.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Hi & welcome,

Firstly, DON'T STRESS!! It doesn't help and it could well be needless worry anyway. Could be many things, from quite minor to major, but if it's only been a few days so far, I'd ask the farrier to come out asap & remove his shoes/check for a 'hot' nail and yes, give him the week off. If he's still the same after that, then I'd be calling a vet.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
WELCOME to the Forum!!

Welcome to Horse-ownership 101. :smile:

So, you have had the horse for several months now and this is just happening and also after a recent visit from the farrier and new shoes applied.
I too would be making a phone call to the farrier and telling them the horse is limping unsound.
Could they please come ASAP and check the animal for a hot nail or quicked, which are horse-lingo names for a nail close or touching a nerve and it hurts...
Once determined this is the issue, nail removed and another placed slightly lower or different positioning should solve your issue.
Call the farrier first and get the horse seen...there should be no charge for this either.
Let the farrier determine and work a fix or they will tell you if the nails are fine and horse is lame, needing to see a vet for diagnostics and further investigation.
Farrier first....
Now breathe...this is not uncommon but also not regular it happens.
It just happens sometimes... :|

:runninghorse2:...
jmo..

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
No need to stress..could be a hot nail easy to fix farrier can pull it out. It happens sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts