The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Just for the record: I think all horses should be capable of cantering on either lead, and a good rider ought to be able to cue them for the correct lead. However, being a bit of a newbie myself, and with an ex-ranch horse who had some pretty awful use in his life, I can understand where either a rider or horse would be allowed to canter on the wrong lead until they are better at cantering. I'm one of four riders for Trooper, so working on his flexibility is an uphill battle in some ways.

The picture of Trooper below was taken maybe two months after we got him. You can still see the damage where some butthead on a ranch (I refuse to call whoever did it a cowboy) spurred him bloody (plus the saddle marks on his withers, both sides). Four years later, the hole on his left side has healed, but the one on his right is still scar tissue.

That is also why I like to cue him to accelerate with kissing sounds. He is still very sensitive about his sides. I decided to learn cantering on him because I trusted his good will. Now we BOTH need to progress...one step at a time.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.