The Horse Forum banner

Beginner rider

688 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  ||Baypinto||
Hi y'all! I was just wondering what everyone thinks should be the skills for a beginner rider? When I was a kid, it was walk, halt, and posting trot English. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks
Reactions: Agheera
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
First of all how long have you been riding and how behaved is the horse you are riding? If you have been riding for less than six months on a good beginner horse I think any beginner rider no matter the discipline should be able to halt, walk and trot. If you have been riding for six to twelve months you should be able to walk, halt, reverse, and do a posting, sitting and half seat/ 2-point position trot. And twelve plus months you should have mastered the walk, halt, reverse, and do a posting and half seat/2- point trot, ground poles and maybe a canter, it depends on how good you are. And by eighteen plus months you should have mastered the walk, halt, reverse, and a posting and half seat/2- point trot, sitting trot, ground poles, canter, and starting on cross rails or other low jumps. Hope this helps! 😃
Horse Sky Ecoregion Working animal Liver

1 - 2 of 2 Posts