The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the horse I lease is great, I love him!

He's only been under saddle 6 months and is do amazing!!!

He know how to canter very well!
But, I also knows how to get out of work very (what horse doesn't?)
Anyways, I understand he has not mastered the canter and all.

But he has gotten worse (I believe it's cuz of 2 new riders), I try to be patient and understanding, but at the same time I don't let him get away with bad manners.

When he's cantering, after 5 strides he just stop no warning, so I give him a small tap with the crop and if he doesn't I do it harder, and if he still doesn't move !smack!.

So anyways my question is how do I keep him from stop without wanting?
he also wonders while catering and if I ask him to move back where he was he will stop.
Suggestions?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
At any gait your focus has to be straight ahead about 50 yards. When you do this your whole body responds which he feels and give him direction. If you look at his ears or the ground your body changes and he will respond to that. There's an old saying, if you look at the ground you must be picking out a spot to come off. If he is getting too many arena rides he may be sick of it and needs trail riding for a mental refresher.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I don't think he is a butt-head. I think he is confused.
He's been under saddle six months, you are leasing him, and two others are also riding him?????? How old is this poor guy? Are all of you taking lessons or just riding around?
You may get on him and ask for and expect one thing and the others may be cueing him entirely differently. Green horses need consistency. I'm sorry to say this sounds like the makings of a disaster for the horse.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you he is not being a butt head, others are letting him test them and he now thinks it's ok, its not his fault in anyway.

He is 8, he started late.
His owner has people leasing for extra money she needs for Twisters care, she can afford him without it, but it's really tight for her, she's a single mom who is trying to work.

Twister is smart, and unfortunately, his leasers are push overs, and unfortunately I have to fix a lot if their problems, because his owner doesn't have time to work with him until summer.

Like I can handle him at the canter but suggestions would help me.

I do believe he is a little rushed, but his owner would never give him something he couldn't handle, all the leasers are only 2 days a week, but I can go whenever I want (I know the owner more personally).

I understand what your saying and I do wish there was only 1 leaser other then me for his sake. But if his owner thinks he can't handle it she will do something about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know what!
I think that the problem now that I look back on all of it, I don't think I look ahead.

THANKS!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
486 Posts
he does need as few riders as possible, but I get that's not your decision as the leaser.

Usually to get a horse whose punking out not to stop I use leg to drive and if they do manage to stop make them start up immediately (crop if necessary) so they know that was not ok.

Wandering I use as much leg aid as I can to get them where I need to be. Particularly with horses w/ less training who I call "mack trucks"... I'm better at getting them to stay on their "track" at slower gaits. When I ride horses that don't have as much training, I try not to go to the trot if I can't get them composed at the walk.. and don't go to the canter if i can't get a good circle at the working or extended trot. I'm not so experienced as some (year & a half of consistent riding) so I try to pick battles I can win.

I think that's right, I'm not an expert but this is what I've learned from people who know more than me. :)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I don't think I look ahead.
Very easy habit to fall into. I often have to remind myself to get my head up and look ahead.
Here's another thought...could you watch the other riders to see how they are riding him? Maybe the three of you could make it a team effort, so to speak. Both you and the horse would be less frustrated if you could all work together.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I can't believe that anyone would lease out a horse to 3 people, that only has 6 months under saddle.

How old are they? And how old are you?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea how old the owner is, sorry.
I'm 13.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.