The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its always a shame when you start an inocent thread and one or two other members ruin it by posting mean or unappropriate content. Some of the threads I have started have gotten nasty and had to be closed by an admin. I thought it would be a good idea that if a member or members started spamming or corrupting a thread then the member that started that thread should be able to block them from it.
I think this would be a good idea for HF but I realise that some members will abuse it.
What do you guys think? Feedback from admins would be much appriciated :)

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I don't like it. The admins do a good job already. What's the point of posting threads if you only get to hear the same opinions as yours

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I agree with Spastic Dove.

If a person only wants warm fuzzies - e-mail your buddy.

You can always ignore any comments you don't care for.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all true but some of the content is completely unrelated! I like hearing other people's opinions and the report button is far from instant.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I think it comes down to forum etiquette. It holds true for all forums not just this one. Most people try to refrain from hijacking a thread or going off topic but sometimes it just happens. If it goes to far off and becomes argumentative or hurtful than its up to a moderator to edit or close the thread.
Allowing anyone to remove or edit the posts of others could cause confusion and a break in the continuity of the threads.
Reporting them is still the best fix for now :)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sounds fair enough, its just annoying when you start a thread and it gets out of control and it ends up being cosed without an outcome

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
The OP can always start a new thread and hope for a better outcome. Maybe ask the question in a different manor that puts off sour pusses :lol:

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
The fact is, once a thread is posted, you no longer maintain control. Actually, it would not be productive if you could. The reason behind forums is to learn other people's opinions. The more varied, the more interesting. I have learned a lot, both good and bad, from disciplines I do not participate in. I would hate it if posters could determine who could participate.

You just need to get a thicker skin, or refrain from posting items known to get people's dander up.

Things one should avoid;
WP
TWH big lick
modern competitive dressage

Oh, heck.....just about anything!! LOL!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I frequent another BB where you can put other posters on 'ignore'.

That doesn't mean they can't post to a thread, just that you won't see their post.

I don't like that feature because I think everyone has something to contribute, even if it's not what someone wants to hear. Plus, thread derailing is common and not always unwelcome.

If all you want is like-minded agreements, then stick to blogs or Facebook where you can ban people who don't conform to your ideas of what's 'right'.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
The OP can always start a new thread and hope for a better outcome. Maybe ask the question in a different manor that puts off sour pusses
If pusses are too sour too often and exhibit a pattern of disrupting threads (as opposed to merely disagreeing in threads, of course), they won't have the opportunity to continue doing so for long. Please continue to use the Report Post mechanism to help us identify members who can't help but ruin things for everyone else. This is a discussion forum for members who can carry on discussions. We will continue to address people who can't help but derail and ruin them.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Personally I don't like the idea but think it will perhaps lead to different cliques and inequality if the OP can ban other members to participate. Because IMO OP can't usually be neutral like mods and that's why it can easily turn something like 'I don't like your comment/tone of it so I'll ban you' even the answering writer doesn't mean to interrupt the discussion or otherwise behave badly. Have to remember that it can also turn a way to bully or discriminate somebody, like 'I don't like you so I ban you to participate any of my threads'.

I think reporting inappropriate posts to mods or admin does ensure the most equal atmosphere towards every member here.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I personally think it reduces the maturity level of the forum when members are able to block other members from threads... Kinda like putting your fingers in your ears and saying "I can't hear you!lalalalalalllaaaaa"...

We are all big kiddies here and should be able to tolerate being told we are wrong, or that someone does not disagree with us. If not, there is always myspace...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts