The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all! Was wondering about the proper way to wear bell boots on the back feet. My horse had a bad accident and damaged her coronet awhile back and grew out weirdly. Doesn’t seem to affected her movement but I do want to keep it protected. Thanks!

·
Banned
18 Posts
I've always been taught to put them on the same way as the front, but then again my trainer isn't the most reliable source for horse care questions, so I could very well be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
14,704 Posts
I've never used bells on hind feet and would be concerned with abrasion from turning and the trapping of dirt against that tender skin.
Have you thought about using a different style of boot that would offer protection from cannon to hoof?
I don't know what they are called for hinds honestly...

And...has the skin toughened enough and you have been told to resume riding it should maybe not be covered??
If you not trust your trainers advice, then ask the vet or your farrier for their professional opinion as they know the animal.
🐴....

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
You can put them on the same way as you do the fronts
Buy a style that protects all around the hoof if the damage is on the front area.
If you're worried about rubbing on the damaged area you can buy purpose made sleeves to go underneath the bell boot.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the long wait in reply. Yeah, I’m not quite sure as for it potentially rubbing. Mostly she just clips it with her other foot because it sticks out so much and then it bleeds a little. She’s been cleared to ride since it’s been over 1.5 years ago. Had to cast it and the whole show. Almost nicked her tendon, which was terrifying; I’m just being fussy over her lol. Maybe a polo wrap would be better, just wrap it a bit lower? Makes me nervous though because I’ve heard polos put on incorrectly can cause more harm than good. Then again, I’ve wrapped her leg so many times with bandages and the vet said I was really good at it, shouldn’t be much different. I’ll try to upload a pic of her foot. Not sure I can get it off my phone...

·
Super Moderator
14,704 Posts
I immediately though of a boil boot ring but not sure you can ride in that...
The way it is made though would stop the occasional clip against it as the ring would take the hit first...
Since it isn't the front split area you refer to but the area of proud flesh built up...that "callous" area might be able to be reduced down if it isn't now a bony protrusion...something your farrier would have good input to share since he handles the feet of the animal.
As for wrapping polos lower...no!
To wrap that low you are begging for a disaster if the other hoof strike and rip the polos you could end up quickly in a ground heap and seriously hurt...no polos please.
🐴....

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
There are combination boots and bell boots, like these neoprene Showman boots. You could get protection on the cannon all the way down the hoof with these. When I used to run barrels, a friend of mine used these instead of separate boots and bell boots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts