The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of Professionals Choice ballistic bell boots and they keep turning while riding. I bought a large size, they touch the ground of which I don't really like but don't meet in the front of my horse's pastern. I make them snug, but not to tight so it cuts off circulation. I never seem to find a pair that works for him. Anyone have bell boots that work well for you? I don't like them to touch the ground so that it shoves up his pastern with every step. He hasn't gotten nicks or cuts from overstepping but his hooves do click often, I mostly want them for when we jump to prevent injury.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I bought a large size
Maybe they are too big?

Personally, I've never had a horse that needed a large bell boot. I've used that exact bell boot before, and even my large-boned quarter horse (who needs a large sport boot on his hind legs) fit a medium bell boot.

Never had a problem with them turning.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I use Pro Choice no turn medium bells on my TB and have never had an issue with them turning.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
If they turn, usually means the boot is too big.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Are you putting them on correctly? Knob in back? (I put them on backwards when I first got them...Then I figured it out...whoops.) the same brand and once I figured out that the knob goes between the heel bulbs, they stay in the right place.

If they are facing the right way and still turning, they are probably too big.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I have tried a few different brands and sizes on a couple of my horses with the same problem. I usually do not use a sport boot or polo wrap which I think helps keep the no turn bell boot down to keep it from turning without velcroing it so tight that it doesn't turn or hinder movement in the fetlock.
I gave up and went back to the good quality gum rubber pull on boots if I want something to come all the way down to the ground to cover the heels and the back of the shoe and you don't have to worry about them turning.

Reactions: Exotic

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Sounds like they're a little too big. I have a similar issue with finding bell boots to fit!

I don't know if they're available in the US but I bought some Roma overreach boots that have a no turn device in them. Basically they're designed to be very snug and have a little lump to fit just about the heel to stop them turning round. I had them for about 5 years but recently, they got to the point where they look really scruffy, so they're my spare pair now.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I think no turn bell boots are junk anyways. Half of them turn eventually or in the middle of your ride. I don't really get the point anyway. Ok mini rant over haha!

I would go with a pull on rubber bell boot. If you don't like pull on, just get something similar with Velcro.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Exotic and boots

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll try the pull-on ones. They seem annoying but look like a better option. And yes I am putting them on right, it's just I always thought they were to meet in front in order to be the right size. I use up about a 1/4 of the Velcro when I latch them and that's snug. IDK, tack can be so stupid sometimes. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sooooo......I went to Midwest Horse Fair and bought my first pair of pull on rubber bell boots. Yay right? Not really. I can't get them on! I put them in hot water and stretch them out at home for a bit, but I can't get them over his hoof! I've never had this kind before so I don't know any tips or tricks, any advise would be great. I really don't want to buy another pair and have these on hand that I'll never use.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Sooooo......I went to Midwest Horse Fair and bought my first pair of pull on rubber bell boots. Yay right? Not really. I can't get them on! I put them in hot water and stretch them out at home for a bit, but I can't get them over his hoof! I've never had this kind before so I don't know any tips or tricks, any advise would be great. I really don't want to buy another pair and have these on hand that I'll never use.
Unfortunately all rubber bells are not created equal.

These are the ones I buy, I love them and they last.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/kl-select-italian-bell-boots--6613

I have tried a few other brands and I couldn't pull them on or they didn't last as long.

These are the ones I have been using for the last year and made it through multiple roping and cow horse shows.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't even remember what brand I bought. I just saw them on a shelf and didn't want to keep searching around for a pair so I grabbed them. Threw away the tag, didn't think it would help me later. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been using Pro Choice for I think the last 20 years and have never had a bell boot turn that was properly fitted. If the boot is on the ground or going under your horses hoof it is too big. Talk to a Pro Choice representative, they are very helpful. The only larges I have ever had to purchase is for a QH gelding we had that was 1500 lbs in shape, he had to have custom made breast collars and bridle to fit him, all other horses were typically a medium.

You could also look into RES boots. Velcro straps are replaceable, but I never liked them over Pro Choice bell boots.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I don't even remember what brand I bought. I just saw them on a shelf and didn't want to keep searching around for a pair so I grabbed them. Threw away the tag, didn't think it would help me later. :D

Horseloverz had one of their big flash sales and I bought a few pairs at $5/pair, I haven't used them, can't get them over my horse's feet. He wears an ought and they are medium boots! I guess I will save them for a horse that needs a double ought? LOL

One of the reasons I use a bell is because I want it to come down to the ground and protect all of the heel and any heel of the shoe as well. If I buy the no-turns so they don't turn they usually don't protect everything.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess this is a live and learn lesson for me. I tried putting Vaseline on the boots and still couldn't get them on. Will take a trip to the tack store and try stretch all of them to see what I can do, lol! Maybe the ones I have can be a gift to a pony someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My mare used to kick herself as a youngster and cause her to trip so we used bell boots on the front to protect her feet. We had the no turn ones from Professional Choice with the knob that goes between their heel. The fronts almost touch once Velcroed on and never had a problem with them. Always thought the pull on ones would be too difficult to get on. Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.