The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a little 10yo Quarab guy that was abandoned for over 4 years, until I took him in. He's broke to ride, but not trained and I obviously don't know much about him, except that he has a scarred palate from the past. I'm doing English riding with him, possibly a bit of jumping later on and at the moment I use an O-ring snaffle bit. He seems fine for the most part but fights it a lot. He may just need more training but I have a feeling he doesn't like it. Any ideas on a bit that may make him more comfortable?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have his teeth been checked? If not, that needs to come before anything. A bit that he may normally be comfortable with might not fit if his teeth are messed up.

Just before I got full ownership of him (about a month ago), he had his teeth floated, his vaccinations done, and all that good stuff. I don't know what bit hes been comfortable in as I don't know any of his history. I've only used O-ring snaffles and he still knaws and pulls on it. I've tried my mares' D-ring and he won't tolerate that at all

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Could be he doesn't like whatever type of metal (stainless, copper, sweet iron) the bit is or he could prefer a solid bit over a snaffle. This is the reason many of us end up with a large collection of bits. If you have a friend with one of those collections ask if they mind if you use some to experiment so you'll know what type to buy.

·
Registered
48,568 Posts
the ring of the bit has a minimal effect. the bit itself is more likely to affect a behavioral reaction.

How do you know his palate is scarred?

If you need a bit, try a double jointed snaffle first He may prefer that. Also, not too thick for his mouth and don't pull it up too high. skip the old 'two wrinkles ' adage. One or NO wrinkle may be more comfortable for him.

maybe he will prefer a solid bit, or even one with a bit of leverage.

OR, bitless.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Try different mouth pieces. If I have one who's really fussy in a loose ring, I'll go the opposite side and try my Mullen eggbutt, fl baucher, and/or ported d ring. All are very stable with different features. Then based on their reaction I can see if there's another one that would suit.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
the ring of the bit has a minimal effect. the bit itself is more likely to affect a behavioral reaction.

If you need a bit, try a double jointed snaffle first He may prefer that. Also, not too thick for his mouth and don't pull it up too high. skip the old 'two wrinkles ' adage. One or NO wrinkle may be more comfortable for him.

OR, bitless.
I totally agree with this. The thickness of the mouthpiece is important r/t the size of the horse's mouth. Also use a double jointed (bean) snaffle as opposed to a single joint.

Or a straight, Mullin mouth. Or bitless. Would avoid anything with shanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

OR, bitless.

Thank you, I will definitely try that.

My friend is actually the one who took him in first, she had teeth and all done with him then he was given to me. She's the one who told me he has a scarred palate.

He likes thinner bits it seems, but then again I haven't tried anything real thick

·
Registered
300 Posts
hi, I'm at your barn. I have Nick.
I have a few bits you're welcome to try with him that are gentle lozenge copper mouths. And if you want help with learning to jump and starting polework I'm happy to help you. I have most of either Tuesdays or Thursdays available.
Cheers.
I'm soooo jealous. I want another HF'er near me or at my barn.

Trying different bits without someone to let you use their's can become an expensive endeavor. It's why we all become known for being tack hoarders. On the current mouth piece, what is the material? I have noticed that my one mare hates the regular O-ring, but I used the SAME bit that was copper mouth and she was fine.

·
Registered
17,060 Posts
I'd try a Myler bit maybe. They're really good. I use the D-ring comfort mouth snaffle.

I use it on my 6yr old mare, it's super gentle, no pinching or nutcracker effect. She HATED other snaffles.
It's smooth & I swear by it. Some horses are just pickier than others.

I got mine for cheap on eBay (lightly used) but they are worth the money.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/myler-level-1-dee-8408 that's what it looks like for reference. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a few bits you're welcome to try with him that are gentle lozenge copper mouths. And if you want help with learning to jump and starting polework I'm happy to help you. I have most of either Tuesdays or Thursdays available.
Cheers.
I'm soooo jealous. I want another HF'er near me or at my barn.

Trying different bits without someone to let you use their's can become an expensive endeavor. It's why we all become known for being tack hoarders. On the current mouth piece, what is the material? I have noticed that my one mare hates the regular O-ring, but I used the SAME bit that was copper mouth and she was fine.

Mine is a sweet iron! I've used mostly copper and sweet irons on him because he seems to tolerate them more. But I think he likes copper the best

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers.
Oh hey, thank you so much! I'll message you!

·
Registered
300 Posts
We just tried a stainless eggbut snaffle and he didn't toss or tug as much but still knawed.
I'm going to try some other bits from friends

Here's the cutie!
He is quite cute. Maybe in the O-ring it's pinching the sides which is why the egg but worked better? My mare does chew on bits. I can hear her crunch on them. We ride in the JR. Cowhorse with the dog bone mouth piece and it has a copper roller. When I did the one without the copper roller she fussed much more with the bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is quite cute. Maybe in the O-ring it's pinching the sides which is why the egg but worked better? My mare does chew on bits. I can hear her crunch on them. We ride in the JR. Cowhorse with the dog bone mouth piece and it has a copper roller. When I did the one without the copper roller she fussed much more with the bit.
That's what I was thinking! I haven't tried anything with rollers. Just regular old snaffles

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Have you considered a bitless bridle with him? Some horses just prefer it, some horses don't. I'm not going to say it will solve all your problems or anything magical, but I think it's worth trying out while you're trying out other bits. My mare gets very tight and upset in any bit but she is relaxed and happy in a hackamore or rope halter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My horses and I are also fans of Mylar bits. They respond very well with them. The way the bit lay on the bars is slightly different than most bits, which hopefully would be a little different from where your horse has damage.

As mentioned there are other options than just using a bit. I ride more with just a halter after the horse is trustworthy. Whatever that means... I've had a couple horses that preferred a hackamore. Every horse and rider have different needs. Notice horses needs came first.

Not a fan of bits that can pinch lips.

The bit in the last picture, from that angle appears to be too narrow???

There is way more science in bits and bitting than I know. Didn't realize how much I didn't know until I started researching it. Tons of great and not so great information out there. My first introduction was through Richard Shrake (sp?) Many years ago......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts