The Horse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I like Ultra Shield X and Super Shield Red, but they're hella expensive. Country Vet works pretty good, too.

I heard that you should switch sprays every so often because the flies get used to it. I think it's true, too, because the Country Vet worked really well for a while and now not so much.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have used endure for the last 2 summers , I love it and even when the horses get sweaty it still seems to work. It was suggested to me by my fave tack store owner who owns 5 horses .
It is expensive but I try to buy it when I see it on sale, yesterday I bought a bottle at a horse show vendor who had it for 20percent off which cost me roughly 16.00 ....I do love the smell of bronco but it didnt seem to work very well for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
the best one i've found is piranna. keeps the flies off when i'm trail riding which is what i need. plus, its much less expensive than some of the fancy brands.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I like Tri-tech and Endure equally well...when I need a good flyspray, those are the ones I look for. They are expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Oh, another good one, especially for horses with sensitive skin, is V.I.P. (VIP Products) In my area, it's hard to find (only one store sells it!), but I used it on Dante when he was young and I didn't want to use weird chemicals on him, and I hear a lot of people say they use it on their horses with allergies and sensitive skin. It smells fruity, too! The site says to use it twice a day, but I've got away with spritzing a horse down just once and it worked maybe a day and a half.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
^^ I do know from personal experience that fleas will become immune to a certain poison after a couple of summers of using the same thing, it makes sense that flies would too.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I decided to buy the Bronco Gold but I havnt used it yet so I can take it back if I decide to change my mind. It worked pretty good on Sammy and the other ones were a bit out of my price range at the time. =/

·
Registered
348 Posts
quick question has anyone tried those drops that you put on the horse that are supposed to work for up to 2 weeks? kinda like these Equi-Spot Horse - I have been wanting to try them but was wondering if they work

·
Registered
543 Posts
I use "Horse and Pony Fly Spray" it is water,sweat resistant and uv protectant (helps not fade their coat) it works the best for me, I only have to spray my horses down once a day.I have tryed almost everyone out there and this one is the best by far, cost about $13.00 a bottle but I got the big refill bottle( cost about 40.00) it will last me all summer with all five of my horses.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I decided to buy the Bronco Gold but I havnt used it yet so I can take it back if I decide to change my mind. It worked pretty good on Sammy and the other ones were a bit out of my price range at the time. =/
Good luck with that. It's never worked. I bought a giant jug of it two summers ago since it was so cheap.

I think I ended up just throwing it away.

I thought there was a thread here for homemade fly sprays. I make my own, and it's cheap and works really well. Some local 4H instructors shared their secrets with us.

·
Registered
788 Posts
quick question has anyone tried those drops that you put on the horse that are supposed to work for up to 2 weeks? kinda like these Equi-Spot Horse - I have been wanting to try them but was wondering if they work
I've tried them last summer (the Equi-Spot ones) and can't say I was extremely impressed. I didn't pick any ticks off them that year, but it didn't seem to affect the flies at all, except maybe the same day I put it on.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Good luck with that. It's never worked. I bought a giant jug of it two summers ago since it was so cheap.

I think I ended up just throwing it away.

I thought there was a thread here for homemade fly sprays. I make my own, and it's cheap and works really well. Some local 4H instructors shared their secrets with us.
I have to return a few things back to Tractor Supply. I might try that endure stuff. Lol I withdrew the $100 for the down payment on Toccoa..might as well use it on horsey stuff instead. =D I've almost all of my grooming supplies now! =D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know about it going bad but I do know from experience that if it freezes, it smells like paint thinner the next summer. I'm not sure why this is but it was completely wasted. So keep it in a heated area in your barn if you must endure winter months.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I found something that works pretty well. I have had a bottle of bronco for a while and I have been using it when I have to work on their feet. Anyway, I bought a small bottle of Repel-x concentrate. I mix it up just a bit stronger than the bottle says and then I mix it with the bronco. That lasted me through my whole ride today, that's a first. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My favorite has always been Larry's Horse Sprary (now called Espree, I think). Its a little expensive to buy initially but it comes as a concentrate. I've never known a fly spray I didn't have to use everyday. I've also used the Equi Spot or something similar - it seems to me some years they work really well and other years (this year) not so good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
No, fly spray never goes bad.

There are many fly sprays out there, and many of them are great. Some work better on one horse than another too. I used to use Bronco, but then, for some reason, it stopped working well. I purchased the water based Pyranha Wipe & Spray and it works amazing! My horse HATES flies and throws a fit when they come near him. He has not had a fit once this summer with this spray. The water based spray is better than the original because it isn't oily so dirt doesn't stick to my horse's coat after I ride him with the spray on. The wipe & spray part is only an option, you could just spray it on if you want. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I went out and got Endure since its had the most overall votes for it. I figure next year I can always get Tri-tech to kind of mix it up a bit. :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I use Repel-X.... last on the coat for quite a while. I wont get any other kind unless I have to. I'm happy with it.... and so is Tenacity. It doesn't smell half bad, either.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts