Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so here it is,
I'm considering purchasing a breastplate due to the amount of hacking out I've been doing with my gelding, as our area is full of hills and the routes we take can be steep at points. Would a breastplate add more stability and prevent the saddle slipping back, his saddle was recently fitted and I've only had problems on the steeper climbs where I can feel some movement.
I ride in an English general purpose saddle and as he is 16.1hh and I weigh just under 110lbs I've never really considered adding any more tack to my saddle for more stability.

Would a breastplate help in this instance and if so what kind would be most suitable as I don't want to restrict his movement?
Also when looking at breastplates online nearly all come with martingale attachments, do you know why this is?
And does price make a big difference here?

Thanks for your time :)

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
I use the 3-point style and like it.
I find no shoulder restriction happens as the straps do not hang on that part of the anatomy.
I prefer a breastplate with adjustable straps not only at the wither but along the shoulder strap {see buckles in picture} and with a small amount of elastic for give when the horse must give all in effort he can.
I have several like this style that is how I found I like the adaptability this one offers as it fits correctly any horse I've used it on, not to snug not to loose.
Of course you need the strap that goes between the front legs and attaches to girth for "the anchor". All straps need to be properly fitted.
I have both running and standing martingale attachments that came with mine and use them if needed otherwise I disconnect them with the easy buckle on feature.

This can help keep a saddle from slipping back, maintaining position when the horse truly stretches out their anatomy during extreme effort given during riding activities.
Nothing beats a well fitting saddle though...this is a added plus to that fit.
I found you 2 pictures to show you the idea of adjustable straps I prefer.
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/shires-3-point-breastplate/E007812/
https://www.doversaddlery.com/crown-adjustable-breastplate/p/X1-0909/

I've never used a 5-point so no idea of how differently it would work.
I have used a breastcollar in the past and although OK, I prefer the 3-point in looks, fit and the fact I feel where you fit it to it stays put not traveling high or low as I found could happen with the collar style.
Happy shopping.
:runninghorse2:....
jmo...

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
My horses have done a lot of hill climbing, sliding down and digging up river banks in their lifetimes.

While I have mostly ridden without a saddle, my friends aren't so inclined:). I much prefer fleece lined breast collars.

Mine are mechanically designed like this one but the aesthetics aren't like this one. It will give you an idea of what is most comfortable for the horse and can still be stylish:)

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/cashel-nylon-fleece-lined-straight-breast-collar/E000853/

Google "fleece-lined breast collars for horses" and you will get a bunch of hits from various makers and horse catalogues:)

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
Regardless of what style or material your breastplate or breastcollar is made from taking care to clean it of sweat and hair buildup is a must.
Remove and clean, brush off the stickers that can attach themselves as if they then "stick" your horse you will have a very unhappy animal... :|
:runninghorse2:.....

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Pictures of the Zilco breast collar on my horse, first with a Barefoot saddle and second with a treed saddle. The bridle and S-hack are also by Zilco. I really like the quality.

He was trying to shake off his ear bonnet in the second one, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
My horses have done a lot of hill climbing, sliding down and digging up river banks in their lifetimes.

While I have mostly ridden without a saddle, my friends aren't so inclined:). I much prefer fleece lined breast collars.

Mine are mechanically designed like this one but the aesthetics aren't like this one. It will give you an idea of what is most comfortable for the horse and can still be stylish:)

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/cashel-nylon-fleece-lined-straight-breast-collar/E000853/

Google "fleece-lined breast collars for horses" and you will get a bunch of hits from various makers and horse catalogues:)
walkinthewalk - do you find this style traps a lot of heat or attracts a lot of debris (burrs etc)? I've actually been considering this exact breast collar since my leather one always seems to rub my gelding raw in the summer. I use a wither strap to pull it off his shoulders, nope. Tried adjusting it looser but there's a point where it's too loose to be effective.

Sorry for the small hijack OP.

I have a Nunn Finer hunting breast plate like the ones horselovinguy posted. Highly recommend the adjustable buckles on the sides (plus easy to put on without untying your horse). It really helps get that correct fit. I also like them with wider leather if you're using them to prevent saddle slipping. I've noticed there's very few that come without running or standing attachments. If you don't need them just take them off - they should all be removable.

Recently I've been using an elastic breast plate, not this exact one but similar:
Elastic BP

My gelding gets rubs on his shoulders from my leather breastplates (the nunn finer was for my WB mare - It's too big for him) so we've been trying the elastic while jumping to see if it really makes a difference. The trial run is currently on hold as he needs longer tugs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pictures of the Zilco breast collar on my horse, first with a Barefoot saddle and second with a treed saddle. The bridle and S-hack are also by Zilco. I really like the quality.

He was trying to shake off his ear bonnet in the second one, lol

Post more about biothane please AnitaAnne! I’ve been looking through old threads to find any info I can since I just ordered some and would love a thread where you discuss yours and post lots of pictures! Haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.