Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
I have an 18 y/o tb gelding that is a semi hard keeper (he's long backed) Currently he's in good weight on a 12% protein, 4% fat Pelleted grain, but he's become fairly hot. He's not dangerous or anything like that, but it takes him a good 20 minutes to get the gitters out and get down to focusing on working, and even then he's still just on the edge of paying attention.
He's turned out daily and worked 4-5 days a week. I'm happy he's got energy but I'd like to take it from a 10 to an 8. Should I be looking for a grain with lower protein and higher fat, Say a 10/10 combo, or something else? I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Can you link to a ingredient list of the feed you are currently using? 9 times out of 10, pelleted feeds include molasses which is pretty sugary and can cause a horse to be hot.

What kind of hay is he getting?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
You want high fat. Look for ingredients like beet pulp, rice bran, soy hulls, etc.. and top dress the feed with oil.
Stay away from ingredients like oats, molasses, corn, barley, etc.. as these are all hot foods.
Step 8 I believe is a great high fat, low heat feed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: asetter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a mill mixed grain, so no tags, that's just what I was told by the BM it does have some molasses in it, but not a ton. He gets eastern Orchard grass hay.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I would definitely try nixing the grain then, and try giving him rice bran and/or beet pulp instead. I've fed both, like both, but preferred feeding rice bran when I could afford it since it didn't have to be soaked and was fed in smaller amounts. However, I think my filly (a hard keeping TB like yours who was prone to getting a bit full of herself) actually did better on the beet pulp to be honest.

You could start with a pound of rice bran and bump it up to as much as 2 pounds if needed, or with 2-3 pounds of beet pulp and see if it helps him. Both of those things really help them gain condition so he should do fine.

How much hay is he getting? I'd be offering him at least 20 lbs daily if possible.

Reactions: asetter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any opinions on Triple Crown Complete? It's still 12% protein, but is high in fat and is beet pulp based. Also Triumph makes a 10% protein 10% fat formula...so many feeds..so many options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would definitely try nixing the grain then, and try giving him rice bran and/or beet pulp instead. I've fed both, like both, but preferred feeding rice bran when I could afford it since it didn't have to be soaked and was fed in smaller amounts. However, I think my filly (a hard keeping TB like yours who was prone to getting a bit full of herself) actually did better on the beet pulp to be honest.

You could start with a pound of rice bran and bump it up to as much as 2 pounds if needed, or with 2-3 pounds of beet pulp and see if it helps him. Both of those things really help them gain condition so he should do fine.

How much hay is he getting? I'd be offering him at least 20 lbs daily if possible.
He does get about 20lbs of hay a day plus grass.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Triple Crown is a good line. I haven't had personal experience with it though.

Great on the hay...you're doing at least the biggest thing (forage forage and more forage) right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.