The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Back To The Future "Marty"
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 21 year old mare and a 3 year old gelding out of that mare, and they both get really bad sweet-itch and have bad allergies to the no-see-ums over the summer. I'd like to know your guys' opinion on the the best fly spray for no-see-ums? I want to invest in the BEST fly spray for protection from them over the summer!

** I am not looking for recommendations on supplements/additives to diets **

Thank you, all!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
We have had good luck with Eco Vet but my tried and true method is VIcks Vapo Rub put on their midline (under the tummy) around sheath or udder, chest and around their face mask. You don't need a whole lot but it helps. I get mine at the dollar store and buy quite a few jars to get me through gnat season

·
Super Moderator
14,519 Posts
No matter what you use, those bugs are peskiest at night...nasty dudes.
I've found Pyranha in the aerosol can and Endure used in combination gives the best of relief for some time.
My friends horse suffers terribly...
She wears a belly band fly sheet and is still sprayed...
The vet also has something "prescription needed" that you barely touch them with that stops the biting itch that occurs that then triggers the rub and digging holes in their skin or removing their tail..
I don't know the name of it but it was about $20 for a small bottle..and I mean small, like 3 - 4 ounces small.
Keeping the grass cut shorter where the animals spend the night also seems to keep the pests a bit at bay...
Carshon, will have to try the Vicks Vapo Rub and see if that is better than what I do...for the sanity of the horses. 😉
🐴...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I use Swat on my mare’s midline and under her jaw; she’s terribly allergic to gnat bites. I apply it every night during gnat season. Works!
For sweet itch, I sparingly apply MTG—-always in the evening—-to the base of her mane and tail. Also works.
I only use the fly spray to deter actual flies.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Vick's Vapor Rub is the #1 best thing I have found for no-see-ums. I use it on sheaths, chests, armpits, and ears every single year when fly season is bad.

Reactions: BethR
1 - 6 of 6 Posts