The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best footing for hooves? I have heard that pea gravel is best but some say that "normal" gravel is good too.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Are we talking arena footing, round pen footing, dry lot footing or? And best in what aspect - suitability for high-impact riding, ability to self-trim hooves, traction?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are we talking arena footing, round pen footing, dry lot footing or? And best in what aspect - suitability for high-impact riding, ability to self-trim hooves, traction?
For, like, a paddock paradise/dry lot area - for the horses to aimlessly meander when not out in the grass pasture or in the shelter. We used to use pea gravel/millings with sand (so, sandstone ???) for the paddock track/dry lot, and the horses' (barefoot!) hooves were rock-crunching hard, but I was wondering if that really is the best?

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
741 Posts
The best footing in that circumstance would be something that does not retain water and is comfortable to walk on. Bonus if they help self-trim. Pea gravel typically checks off all three so long as the horse doesn't have extra-sensitive feet. I'm not sure what constitutes "normal" gravel as referenced in your original post, but the size makes a difference - typical driveway gravel can be a bit too large to be comfortably walked on by the average horse. I've heard the standard for horses is 3/4" or smaller. Driveway gravel tends to be about 1".

In my experience, sand washes or blows away, dirt turns into mud, wood bases disintegrate and can be splintery. So, yes, I agree that pea gravel is a good option for dry lots and walking areas. Hopefully others will chime in with things I didn't think about. Also good to keep in mind when laying down footing is making sure, regardless of the top footing you use, that underneath has a barrier to prevent mud from seeping through and also a drainage layer to prevent standing water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts