The Horse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is already a thread!

I am looking to purchase a GPS for on the trail. Ideally I would want one that tracks distance, speed (average and fastest), time and location would be a bonus.

What are your favorites??

The hardest part of my request is I'm working with a budget here and would like to spend under $200 Canadian.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
I downloaded the EquiTracks app on my iPhone for $4 and it does all those things.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I downloaded the EquiTracks app on my iPhone for $4 and it does all those things.
Thanks! That's way more budget friendly haha!
Do you know if it accesses your data? I don't have a very large data cap on my phone so I'm not sure if that would work well for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've tried a bunch of them but I love Track My Hack (free) and iRide (the paid version but with live GPS).

They're by the clothing company WoofWear, I love both of them but you can't beat FREE!

My Track My Hack friends and I love keeping tran of each other and I like the iRIde for when I'm riding alone I can have my darling fiancé keep track of me.

How many times did I use the word "track" lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
There is a grid that pops up on Every Trail that you can see your speed at any given point. I have mine set up to show current speed, max speed and average speed. It also shows current time, time since the ride started.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried some trail ride apps, and I found out, that on most of our trails we don't have cell phone reception...now we are looking for a Hiking gps.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I tried some trail ride apps, and I found out, that on most of our trails we don't have cell phone reception...now we are looking for a Hiking gps.
Typically, a cell phone uses a GPS chip for location. Cell towers and wi-fi (when available) may be used to supplement GPS data, but a smart phone GPS app will work without any cell phone signal.

Depending on the app, you may not have a visible map (i.e. if it downloads and uses Google maps, you will not see a map or satellite view until you have a valid internet connection).

A phone with GPS capability works just like a standalone GPS unit. How it handles maps and what features are available all depend on the software you are using.

The big disadvantage I see with using a phone as a GPS is battery life. GPS usage will generally drain your phone battery much quicker than a standalone GPS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts