The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what you all thought of as the best RISER pad for a horse? My TB has high withers and broad shoulders. I never really thought of his withers as high until I really examined his saddle fit. I have a friend at the barn who is great at saddle fitting, and after trying on (literally) every single saddle at the barn, she told me i am just going to have to get a saddle that I like, and get a riser pad. She recommended the mattes pad with shims (~$300).

Before anybody has a FIT about having to use a pad to get a saddle to fit, I have a VERY limited budget .... I cannot afford custom made Countys, as much as I would like them :D

The saddle I have is good with the tree, but I need something to LIFT it off his withers, BUT not provide too much bulk on his shoulder. I am leaning towards the cavallo pad, but it seems to be more geared towards western than it is towards english. Does anybody else have any good reccomendations for a pad that is realativly thin but provides good wither lift?:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've heard that Ogilvy half pads are really good. Pretty pricey, but they're supposed to be amazing for comfort. They're around $250 I think?

I use an HDR half pad on my horse when I jump because he has a sensitive spine and needs that extra cushioning, it's fairly thin but it gives him that extra comfort (plus it was cheap on sale for $15). Riser pads put too much distance between the horse and the saddle, I think maybe look into just a simple half pad?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be using the wrong name for what I am thinking of. I just need something that lifts the saddle off of his withers a little bit more, but I don't want something that has too much bulk.

Have you heard of a cavallo pad? I had a friend reccomend one, but it seems they are more suited to western?

I will look into the brand you mentioned, although $250 is pretty pricey for a half pad!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts